"403 forbidden"--fix please

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robtonet, Nov 8, 2014.

1. robtonet, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014

robtonet macrumors newbie

this site formerly worked--suddenly for two days getting --a "forbidden 403"--read up a bit and as usual varying opinions and fixes-

mavricks 3 months old iMac--any easy step by step fix available to a newbie? i hate to call apple- the two people they have on staff, both called in sick today.--so that is a no go--thanks
    http://www.linkup.com/results.php?q=&l=logons just fine from my dell win7--sorry for the confusion.thought i had that included.--thank you--stackoverflo has many "solutions" for it." a little bit to much for a new apple head---hehe

WILL BE GONE FOR 3 OR SO DAYS WILL RASSLE IT WHEN I RETURN THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. THO READING UP ON IT --WE ARE NOT EVEN WARM--STACKOVERFLO FOR INSTANCE-

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

That's usually an issue with the site, not with your computer. Do you have another computer or ipad you could check it with? Failing that, tell us the link and we'll try it.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Is that "forbidden" just for one web site?
    It would be helpful if you could give the web address.

If this is only one site that gives you problems, is it an internal page, which requires you to enter through another window first?
    Recently, I had a site do that - but it was a secure site, requiring authentication, and I was trying to bypass the login screen at that site by saving a bookmark on a screen past the login page. Some sites will simply show you a login window or screen. Others will simply block you - "403 - forbidden"

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

As others have pointed out, this is a web server error message. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_403

Have you tried accessing it from a different computer? If it works on one machine but not the other, then the issue has got to be some sort of authentication that one machine is doing improperly. But even then, it's not the machine's fault, but a bad user-name or something of the sort.

A thought... bit of a long-shot: Perhaps some sites might limit the number of accesses a given computer can make in some amount of time. If so, then clearing the cookies in your browser might be a fix. In Safari, go to the Safari menu in the upper right corner and select "Clear History and Website Data", then select "All history." Quit Safari, and try again.

5. sharon22 macrumors regular

Actually, try accessing it with a different browser.

If you used Safari, then download a brand new Firefox (then do a "check for updates") so you can try the website again, but on brand new Firefox.

The SAME thing happens to me -- I'm using the latest version of Safari, and then I get these error messages (site down, etc.), and I don't even panic (don't even break a sweat).... I just launch Firefox and VOILA, there's the website just fine.

I believe (I didn't research it much, but I'm guessing) some websites use a type of browser redirection (not necessarily nefariously, but just as a matter of the way they've programmed the site), and Firefox handles these redirections a bit differently.

Anyway, blah blah blah.... just go try it in Firefox, and please post back and let us know if that worked!

6. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Try to empty your Cache in Safari or read up on how to perform a DNS flush it may help

7. sharon22 macrumors regular

That's always a good idea. But I know it won't help the OP :)

I wish the OP would post back whether my suggestion worked or not.