40GB ATV- $212 Apple refurb or new $224 from Amazon?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by PaulMoore, May 23, 2008.

1. PaulMoore macrumors regular

Should I save $12 and get a refurb or spend the extra for a new model? Opinions wanted...

2. virus7 macrumors member

it say go for the amazon.com, it's only $12. that being said I have NO issues buying refurbished, especially from apple. but then again $12 is $12 :)

if it were like a $30-$40 difference i'd go with the refurbished.

3. emaja macrumors 68000

You save $12 - plus no tax. No brainer - Amazon.

Again, I have never had an issue with refurbs from Apple, but since it will be about the same price once you add tax to the refurb, buy the new one from Amazon.

4. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

Buy new and use a credit card that has an extended warranty on it. AMEX automatically extends any 1+ year warranty an additional year, and <1 year warranty to a full year. Even if I have cash, I still charge it and send the money into the credit card as a payment. It saved me not long ago with my Macbook Pro. AMEX just wrote off half my original purchase price and let me keep the laptop (to get fixed or not). I fixed it myself and sold it on eBay, and I made SURE that my new iMac was bought with my AMEX card.

5. PaulMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice- I never knew that about Amex. I think new is the way to go.

6. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I got my refurb'd 40GB ATV from Apple. It came with free shipping. If they are still doing that, then you should factor that into the cost difference.

I have not had any issues with my refurb. I would definitely go that way again if I wanted something from Apple.

7. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

I ordered my second ATV from Apple this morning, refurbished. $212 total, including tax.
    Since '94, I've only bought two new Macs: Sawtooth and a DP1.8 G5. The rest were refurbs. Good for the wallet, good for the environment. ;)

8. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

9. PaulMoore thread starter macrumors regular