Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Apollo 11 blasted off July 16, 1969. Landed on the moon July 20.
wiki said:
The Apollo 11 mission was the first manned mission to land on the Moon. It was the fifth human spaceflight of Project Apollo and the third human voyage to the Moon. It was also the second all-veteran crew in manned spaceflight history. Launched on July 16, 1969, it carried Mission Commander Neil Alden Armstrong, Command Module Pilot Michael Collins and Lunar Module Pilot Edwin Eugene 'Buzz' Aldrin, Jr. On July 20, Armstrong and Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon, while Collins orbited above.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I am quite taken with the Apollo missions. Just imagine the chance to walk on the Moon? Such thoughts are the basis of many a daydreams. I'm excited to see the remastered images and videos that were recently found of Apollo 11.

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Yup, 40 years ago we landed on the moon. The question is now, when will we get back there?

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I am quite taken with the Apollo missions. Just imagine the chance to walk on the Moon? Such thoughts are the basis of many a daydreams. I'm excited to see the remastered images and videos that were recently found of Apollo 11.

I'm just glad they found the tapes. Can you imagine when it dawned on them that the tapes were completely lost? That's gotta be much worse than Deborah finding out that Ray recorded a football game over the wedding tape.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Not to throw politics into this too much but what funding cuts is NASA faced with, and do you think that we will still attempt another moon landing.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
We've had almost of month of special programs to celebrate the 40th anniversary. I've watch as many as is possible and still have loads more to watch.

Apollo 11 radio broadcasts

I just hope they do return by 2020

NASA are now playing the recordings of Apollo 11 (in pretty much real time)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Not to throw politics into this too much but what funding cuts is NASA faced with, and do you think that we will still attempt another moon landing.

I think it's kind of silly for them to consider cutting NASA's budget considering it is less than 1% of the GDP. That wouldn't exactly save the economy.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Nasa.gov has some awesome Apollo 11 Partial Restoration HD Videos.

And the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library is recreating the 1969 Apollo 11 mission to the moon online, and invites you to follow the entire voyage, in real time, beginning July 16 at 8:02 a.m. It will "take off" at 9:32 a.m. Just visit wechoosethemoon.org/ which will recreate Apollo 11's entire lunar mission, minute by minute, in an interactive experience.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I think it's kind of silly for them to consider cutting NASA's budget considering it is less than 1% of the GDP. That wouldn't exactly save the economy.
Given that the technologies developed by the space program could actually create new products that could help the US economy it will most definitely receive funding cuts.

But back on topic. Hopefully "From the Earth to the Moon" and "Apollo 13" will be available in the free HD On Demand section for a while now. It is quite interesting learning about the history of the Apollo program in from the earth to the moon.

Hopefully NASA will build some massive rockets to dwarf the Saturn V's for a direct launch to Mars for the 50th. Not this sissy stop over at the Moon to refuel stuff.:p

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Yeah I'm with you but percentage of the GDP is never the issue with people who take exception to funding some particular thing. Its the thing itself. One penny = too much.

@zioxide - Thanks for the link!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If we never went to the moon most of the stuff we use today would not exist. I would love to see the people who want NASA gone to try to live without the technology it provided.

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
If we never went to the moon most of the stuff we use today would not exist. I would love to see the people who want NASA gone to try to live without the technology it provided.

It still amazes me that they can actually do what they did during that era, with what was available. Absolutely amazing.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
It still amazes me that they can actually do what they did during that era, with what was available. Absolutely amazing.

They really knew how to work with what they had and if they didn't have it, they invented it.

If you want a real insight in to those days then I'd suggest reading Gene Kranz's autobiography. A truly amazing man at the centre of a truly amazing time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yup, 40 years ago we landed on the moon. The question is now, when will we get back there?

Agreed. I find it very sad, that we haven't been back since the early 1970s.

While the reasons for going to the moon were different 40 years ago (beat the russians) I do not believe that it was the best use of the country's wealth then and more so I don't believe its the best use of our resources today.

While getting to the moon produced a ton of innovation and technology, the cost was staggering. I would bet that the same type of innovations would have occurred but not with the enormous price tag. To that end, this country has a lot of issues that it needs to be resolved and dumping billions of dollars so that a few people can do the bunny hop on the lunar surface and confirm/deny that the moon used to have water is a complete waste.
[/rant]

That said it was cool watching the lunar landings as a kid

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
Another opinion from Gil Scott Heron:

A rat done bit my sister Nell.
(with Whitey on the moon)
Her face and arms began to swell.
(and Whitey's on the moon)
I can't pay no doctor bill.
(but Whitey's on the moon)
Ten years from now I'll be payin' still.
(while Whitey's on the moon)
The man jus' upped my rent las' night.
('cause Whitey's on the moon)
No hot water, no toilets, no lights.
(but Whitey's on the moon)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
And in 40 years we haven't done anything remotely as important or awesome. I'd have loved to have been there to see all that go down live.

The one time we all finally stood as one and we haven't done diddly squat since.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
While the reasons for going to the moon were different 40 years ago (beat the russians) I do not believe that it was the best use of the country's wealth then and more so I don't believe its the best use of our resources today.

While getting to the moon produced a ton of innovation and technology, the cost was staggering. I would bet that the same type of innovations would have occurred but not with the enormous price tag. To that end, this country has a lot of issues that it needs to be resolved and dumping billions of dollars so that a few people can do the bunny hop on the lunar surface and confirm/deny that the moon used to have water is a complete waste.
[/rant]

That said it was cool watching the lunar landings as a kid

But it shouldn't be about somebody doing bunny hopes. It needs to be more, it needs a permanent base. And from that, who knows but we have to find out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.