41 bad blocks on 2TB RAID0

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dubaimac, Jul 21, 2010.

1. dubaimac macrumors regular

Hi guys,

drive pulse from my drive genius has just told me that I have 41 bad blocks on one of my WD 1TB black drives, it is only a year old, can anyone suggest what I need to do to repair/manage this problem.

Thanks in advance

2. mutalib macrumors newbie

Back up. Now.

Once drives start getting bad blocks, or sectors, its only a matter of time before it fails.

3. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

Agreed. Back up your data now if haven't already. Here's to also hoping that your purchase date is just under a year and you can RMA the drive to WD.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Back up your data NOW while you still can and RMA the drive to WD. Caviar Black drives have 5-year warranties.

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The drive sounds like it's going bad, it's probably going to die soon and you will be unable to even mount it...so backup your data as quick as you can and replace the drive!

6. dubaimac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help guys, I have it all backed up with crashplan, but I'm doing a CCC clone now, and have just ordered two 2TB caviar Blacks at 169 USD each, so I will upgrade my storage as well.

One question though, since my HOME folder is located on this RAID, as my system disk is a 50GB OWC SSD, will my machine start up alright without the home folder and all the apps?

I suppose I will have to install CCC on the SSD then take the clone from the remote server and copy it across, is this correct?

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

wow, so much FUD! Do you know, did your drive come with any bad sectors? I know, back in the day, my 4gb HDD had 21 bad sectors, and it worked fine - and kept working fine for years. double that in over 100x the space doesn't seem like a reason to freak out to me...

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Modern drives have the ability to remap themselves (self-recovery).

It's a good idea to scan new disks before they're setup with RAID or used as a single disk (before you store data as well), in order to establish a baseline, and make sure any damage that may have occured during shipping is remapped.

9. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

If you are getting bad sectors, that means the sector relocation table (what the drive moves data to when there are failing sectors) is full.

Like previous people said, time to back up. Now. And replace those drives ASAP.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

This is why I like running a base line scan in the beginning. Assuming the disks had few bad sectors when recieved, it shouldn't be full at ~1 year old @ a count of 41.

That said, the disks do need to be replaced.

11. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Very good idea. I like running a scan, but also running a multiple pass erase on the drives. This way, the drive is able to find and relocate sectors about to fail early on.

One thing I miss about the old SCSI drives was how they responded to the format command. When the drives were told to format themselves, they cleared the relocation table, marked the relocated sectors as bad, and made a read/write test of all working sectors to make sure. This way, the relocation table was ready for another round of newly grown defects to be moved.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

I don't use OS X often, and am used to using software tools under Windows or Linux that would be able to be used instead of the multiple erase pass technique.

How important/necessary is this under OS X to accomplish the goal of remapping bad sectors on a new disk vs. 3rd party software?

I know what you mean. SATA's not that way, but I'm more used to 3rd party software under Windows and Linux (does clear the table as I understand it).

But what I've noticed lately, is disk quality has declined (i.e. ~ 10 - 13% failure rates out of the bag, as most disks are bought in OEM form). Those that function, may not have good platters to begin with (i.e. too many bad sectors, but pass - just barely - but are shipped). Shipping of course can increase the bad sector count, but that's usually due to retailer packaging as I see it (i.e. disks to retailer come in decent protective packaging, but that used to send it to end users suck, such as paper, minimal bubble wrap,...). And shippers like UPS abuse what they're tasked with shipping (I used to work there during college, and I've some stories..., not just people, but equipment damage, which is even more frequent if memory serves correctly).

13. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

My Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB also have 7 reallocated bad sectors.

I've replaced 3 dead Seagate Barracuda's 7200.12 1TB in my server this year ! They were having thousands of reallocated sectors.

Seagate is making terrible drives these days.

14. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I have a couple of 7200.11 1TB drives I use in a software RAID-0 array as my FCP scratch disk. Those ones have been going strong for over a year.

But lately, I've been buying mostly WD Caviar Blacks. They're nice, speedy drives for a somewhat reasonable price.

15. dubaimac thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone shed any light on this, am I going to have problems booting without my home folder?

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

No. Other MR members have split it this way, and not posted any problems.

17. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I think he meant if the amount of Bad Blocks continues to increase.
    He did say about having problems with the Config.

And yeh I had a seagate Barracuda 7200.12 320 GB HD that nearly failed on me so I send it back