Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pierronimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2023
So I bought 2 AW, and I think they both look good on my wrist (165mm).

The 41 SS feels a little bit heavier than the 45 Alu, but the smaller size makes it more confortable in general (less obstrusive when I put on a shirt or when I sleep).

The choice is so hard at this point that I'm switching watches 5 times a day trying to decide which one I keep.

Capture d’écran 2023-04-22 à 15.28.02.png

Capture d’écran 2023-04-22 à 15.27.50.png

IMG-1390.jpg

IMG-1394.jpg

Gonna buy sport loops for both models because that's what I'm going to wear most of the time. It will help me decide I think.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
How's your eyesight And hand/finger coordination? Does larger screen size improve your watch experience, or it doesn't matter?

Pierronimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2023
How's your eyesight And hand/finger coordination? Does larger screen size improve your watch experience, or it doesn't matter?
Eyesight and finger coordination are good. I like the larger screen more than the small one, even though it's a bit "in your face" at times.
I think the 41 is just more confortable but the 45 is more manly.

Also I wasn't expecting the Sapphire Crystal glass on the SS to be also a cosmetic thing, but it is.
It dims the peak brightness (compare to the Alu watch), but it adds a premium shine making it a "legit" watch (it looks like real glass while the glass on the Alu watch looks a bit like plastic)

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I'd go with the larger watch. I'm a guy with smaller wrists but always opted for the larger screen AWs over the years. I recently upgraded from the aluminum S6 to the Ultra. Any reason why you didn't opt for the SS 45mm version or was it unavailable? These watches don't have great resale/trade-in value - which is why I always went with the cheaper aluminum versions; But if you're the type that would keep them for years at a time, instead of upgrading every year or every two years, then this wouldn't matter so much.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
At 165mm, you really could go with either. Personally I think the 41 looks a hair on the smaller side (but maybe it's more so on the second photo).

I wish Apple kept the 42mm size as that was a sweet spot for many of those in-between sizes.

Pierronimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2023
I'd go with the larger watch. I'm a guy with smaller wrists but always opted for the larger screen AWs over the years. I recently upgraded from the aluminum S6 to the Ultra. Any reason why you didn't opt for the SS 45mm version or was it unavailable? These watches don't have great resale/trade-in value - which is why I always went with the cheaper aluminum versions; But if you're the type that would keep them for years at a time, instead of upgrading every year or every two years, then this wouldn't matter so much.
I didn't get the 45 SS because I thought it would be too heavy for working out and running.

It was either 41 SS or 45 Alu.

I just ordered some sport loops (for both watch) as it will be my daily band. I might take my decision then (If I go with the 45, I might order the 45 SS also, to get an insight of the weight)

Thanks for y'all inputs.

And Yes, 42/43mm would be the way to go I think.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I didn't get the 45 SS because I thought it would be too heavy for working out and running.
I suspect once you get used to it, the weight difference between the steel and aluminum is not that perceptible. In fact, weight difference between a heavy band and lighter band might make more difference in terms of comfort during workouts.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Do not worry about the weight. I have an ultra and had a 45 ss. I run daily and work out regularly. That’s truly a silly thing to be concerned about in my opinion. Your body adjusts quickly.

The SS is definitely leaps and bounds nicer looking than aluminum but your use case will determine value.

If you regularly upgrade - get aluminum. If you hold out for 3+ years, probably ss.

Either way, 45mm is a must on that wrist.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003

It was either 41 SS or 45 Alu.

I just ordered some sport loops (for both watch) as it will be my daily band. I might take my decision then (If I go with the 45, I might order the 45 SS also, to get an insight of the weight)

Thanks for y'all inputs.

And Yes, 42/43mm would be the way to go I think.
Ah, gotcha. I've never had the SS version so I can't speak to the added weight. I kind of doubt the added weight would bother me and I might not even notice the difference, but that's just me and some might be more perceptive of it. If you were split between the two and could float it, I guess you could keep both and have the aluminum AW for running/weight training and the SS for everything else!

Bandeeto

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2020
Your wrist presents larger than 165mm in my opinion. I think 45 looks pretty good on you.

Pierronimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2023
I suspect once you get used to it, the weight difference between the steel and aluminum is not that perceptible. In fact, weight difference between a heavy band and lighter band might make more difference in terms of comfort during workouts.

And you are correct. I just received my sport loops and alpine loops for both watch, and oh boy they are not the same watch anymore.
Those bands are game changing compare to the regular sport band or the leather band I own.

I had a crush for the "confort" of the 41mm but with those bands the 45mm feels like you're wearing nothing.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
So I bought 2 AW, and I think they both look good on my wrist (165mm).

The 41 SS feels a little bit heavier than the 45 Alu, but the smaller size makes it more confortable in general (less obstrusive when I put on a shirt or when I sleep).

The choice is so hard at this point that I'm switching watches 5 times a day trying to decide which one I keep.

View attachment 2192526
View attachment 2192527
View attachment 2192529
View attachment 2192530

Gonna buy sport loops for both models because that's what I'm going to wear most of the time. It will help me decide I think.
SS all day everyday. alu is garbage. Get ready for a scratched up or cracked screen. All of my SS apple watches--- practically scratch free and no cracks.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
SS all day everyday. alu is garbage. Get ready for a scratched up or cracked screen. All of my SS apple watches--- practically scratch free and no cracks.
Have you actually had an aluminum watch?

Yes, steel looks a little nicer, and is a little more crack-resistant, but the aluminum watches work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.