Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I leave it on the default color lcd setting. Looked strange at first. Now it's natural.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i use the default Cinema HD profile on my Cinema Display and the default Color LCD profile on my MacBook Pro but they both look different. how can i make both displays look similar?

i tried using the advanced settings in Calibration Assistant but its very hard to make them match. if i put the Cinema HD profile on the Macbook Pro's display its looks awful, all blue and washed out.

Alan Sparks

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2006
For some reason, Apple seem to have included a slightly washed out default colour profile in their latest range of Macs (i.e. from the aluminium iMac onwards).

Calibrating screens can be a complex task depending on how 'into it' you have to be. Calling someone out to calibrate for print purposes for example where clients depend on a correctly calibrated passage from screen to the press.

However!

Just click Adobe RBG (1998) in 'any instance' (for desktop and laptop use). This is a very credible all-purpose colour calibration for rich dark tones, good colour saturation and an even balance of mid-tones and highlights.

The difference between that setting, and spending hours calibration yourself is negligible. That is, unless you are a professional desperately in need of the perfect alignment of colours.

ifonline

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Braselton, Georgia
Is it good to make a new color setting every two weeks?... I mean, is it necessary?

I ask the same question. Does the monitor go out of sync or something?

Yes, as a monitor is capable of shifting color over time. It might be a slight shift, but a shift nonetheless, and if accurate color is important for your work, then the monitor needs to be re-calibrated periodically to adjust for this shift.

i use the default Cinema HD profile on my Cinema Display and the default Color LCD profile on my MacBook Pro but they both look different. how can i make both displays look similar?

i tried using the advanced settings in Calibration Assistant but its very hard to make them match. if i put the Cinema HD profile on the Macbook Pro's display its looks awful, all blue and washed out.

You would need to either get a hardware calibration tool such as the i1 Display 2 or Spyder3, or spend a lot of time trying to do it by hand only to discover, as you have, that it is very difficult to do. Bear in mind, though, that using a hardware tool isn't necessarily easy either, but it is easier and more accurate.

For some reason, Apple seem to have included a slightly washed out default colour profile in their latest range of Macs (i.e. from the aluminium iMac onwards).

Calibrating screens can be a complex task depending on how 'into it' you have to be. Calling someone out to calibrate for print purposes for example where clients depend on a correctly calibrated passage from screen to the press.

However!

Just click Adobe RBG (1998) in 'any instance' (for desktop and laptop use). This is a very credible all-purpose colour calibration for rich dark tones, good colour saturation and an even balance of mid-tones and highlights.

The difference between that setting, and spending hours calibration yourself is negligible. That is, unless you are a professional desperately in need of the perfect alignment of colours.

For general use, certainly the default profiles are good enough.

ifonline

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Braselton, Georgia

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida

However!

Where do I find this setting? I looked everywhere for this. MC

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
I made my own custom color profile using the advanced mode in the color calibration tool. It took about an hour to finally get it right, but now my display looks great. It's amazing how washed out and yellow-tinted the default color profile was on my MacBook.

kabunaru

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I made my own custom color profile using the advanced mode in the color calibration tool. It took about an hour to finally get it right, but now my display looks great. It's amazing how washed out and yellow-tinted the default color profile was on my MacBook.

Could you please post this profile? I would like to try it. Thank you. :)

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Alan Sparks said:

thanks for this. do you think this profile should be used on a Cinema Display? i tried it and it looked a bit dark and vibrant. i could get used to it but im jsut wondering whether the Cinema Displays should use this? also what about AppleRBG?

You would need to either get a hardware calibration tool such as the i1 Display 2 or Spyder3, or spend a lot of time trying to do it by hand only to discover, as you have, that it is very difficult to do. Bear in mind, though, that using a hardware tool isn't necessarily easy either, but it is easier and more accurate.

thank you very much for this. i dont think ill buy calibration hardware as i dont need it as im not in the professional field. i think ill just play around with the assistant for a while

i would also like to try out this profile, if its alright with you? :)

Alan Sparks

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2006
thanks for this. do you think this profile should be used on a Cinema Display? i tried it and it looked a bit dark and vibrant. i could get used to it but im jsut wondering whether the Cinema Displays should use this? also what about AppleRBG?

Dark and vibrant - as opposed to washed out?

Surely that's a positive step?

It's usually a good idea to use AdobeRGB (for it's vibrancy and depth), but to drop the brightness on your monitor to about a quarter strength, raising only to tackle any photo editing you might want to do or for when viewing high quality movies etc.

I suggested AdobeRGB to you because it's a tried and trusted setting used in the print and design industry, where a monitor is crucial in the process.

And incidentally, if you buy the latest Photoshop, you will see the AdobeRGB setting sat in readiness from 1998!

That should tell you something.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
USE SUPERCAL:

http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/

It's freeware that works very well for those who can't afford a colorimeter (i.e. most people), and it made my MBP screen look great. The profiles that come on your Mac are not made for your screen, and are therefore unlikely to work well. All screens are different. You need to adjust gamma, white levels, etc. If you are a professional photographer, image editor, you definitely need to invest in a colorimeter though.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Nothing beats using a good calibration tool. I use Spyder 2 Pro every two weeks, it only take about 10 minutes to do .. :)

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I'm using the Color LCD profile at the moment. I do Photography and the only one that matches my prints good until I can afford to buy some proper calibration software etc.

As soon as I buy it though, I will use.

kabunaru

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Dark and vibrant - as opposed to washed out?

Surely that's a positive step?

It's usually a good idea to use AdobeRGB (for it's vibrancy and depth), but to drop the brightness on your monitor to about a quarter strength, raising only to tackle any photo editing you might want to do or for when viewing high quality movies etc.

I suggested AdobeRGB to you because it's a tried and trusted setting used in the print and design industry, where a monitor is crucial in the process.

And incidentally, if you buy the latest Photoshop, you will see the AdobeRGB setting sat in readiness from 1998!

That should tell you something.

I tried AdoberRGB but couldn't get used to it. ColorMatch RGB on the other hand, I got used to and I am currently using it. :) Almost perfect profile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.