42mm pics and impressions, Tokyo

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mavis, Apr 12, 2015.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

After pre-ordering a 42mm SS with Milanese Loop within minutes of the store going live on Friday (4/24-5/8 delivery!) I finally went to the Shibuya Store this morning for a try-on appointment; here are my impressions:

I've been wearing a Casio Edifice EQW-T610 for years; I was pleased to find that the 42mm Apple Watch is actually thinner and shorter than the Casio. The girl that helped me was very hands-on - she wanted to do all of the band changes herself, as well as putting the watch on and then removing it, herself. That said, I asked nicely if I could try it, and she let me! So I was able to remove links from the SS link band, remove the black sports band from a SG Sports model, and so on. Very cool! The bands fit very securely, and are somewhat difficult to remove from the watch. I found it easier to put them back on, than to remove them.

As many others have discussed here, the Milanese Loop is awesome! It was very comfortable, the magnet was REALLY strong, and the fact that it's infinitely adjustable means you'll always get a perfect fit. It didn't pull my arm hairs, either. The Sport Band actually did pinch a bit when I slipped the band through the slot, but it's probably because the girl did it for me, and also because it was fairly tight. The watch sits lower to the wrist than I thought it would, despite the ceramic dome on the back - then again this might be because I was directly comparing it to a Casio.

The display models were cool but they were stuck in Japanese mode, because changing the language requires using the iPhone app, which I obviously wasn't allowed to do. Anyway, I did notice some lag at various points - when swiping between glances, or even when going back to home screen and trying to swipe/navigate there. I was a little disappointed - but not surprised, after the reviews - to see this. The lag wasn't awful, although I suspect I'll be first in line to get an Apple Watch 2 next year, if the performance is noticeably better. I do think it will get annoying, but then again the first generation iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad were all the same (and I upgraded each of those to the 2nd generation versions for the exact same reason).

Anyway, after seeing the Apple Watch in person, finally, I have to say I'm even more excited to get it next week! I'm glad I went with the 42mm because the 38mm is really tiny (my wrist is about 167mm circumference and about 65mm wide, or so) and I'm also glad I chose the SS over the Sport - the Sport looked really cheap, to me. Almost like it was made out of plastic or something. I didn't actually handle one though, so maybe the lighter weight makes up for the cheaper-looking appearance.

Click to enlarge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Awesome, how did you like the SS with the black sports band? (That's what I ordered)

3. iJcaP macrumors 6502

Nice! Thank you for comparing with the watch you currently wear! I've been driving myself crazy over whether or not I made the right decision with a 42mm. I'm away from home and won't be able to try one on before I receive mine next week. I've been going crazy looking at the dimensions of the Watch and comparing it with the watch I own (which is a lot like the one you own). Glad to know that I probably made the right decision. Fingers crossed!

4. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

I liked it. I also pre-ordered a black sports band, which is why I tried that particular combo on, as well. It's very understated; the band is totally matte, which I feel is a nice contrast with the highly polished front and case. I'm sure you saw, but I took a picture of it, second from the bottom. Anyway, I think you'll like it! It's a great combination! :)

You bet! That's exactly why I posted these pictures - in case anyone else has the same or similar sized watch, to compare the  Watch with. :) The stickied thread about sizing (from an actual stylist, or whatever) really nailed it - when I put a credit card on my wrist, it almost covers my entire wrist (about 5mm of my wrist is visible on either side) so either the 38mm or 42mm would probably look ok on me. That said, the 42mm has a higher resolution display and longer battery life, plus is actually smaller than the watch I currently own, so for me it was a no-brainer.

5. lk400 macrumors 6502a

I had similar impressions as you, and have similar wrist size. I'm interested - do you sell your 1st gen products here in Japan after you upgrade? If so, what's the best place to sell?

6. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

The past few years I've sold on Craigslist; prior to that was Metropolis and maybe even once through JapanToday or whatever it's called. CL is definitely the easiest, though. I always meet at a station, near a koban. ;)

7. lk400 macrumors 6502a

Thanks! And sound advice about the koban meeting place.

8. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

thanks for the review. I ordered the same as you. I waited to order after i convinced myself to go to the apple store and look at them. I was hooked once I looked at them. The SS is really nice looking. I was also thinking, hey its a watch the least it will do is tell time. Least.... it will do much much more. So i was cool with the price. Actually ordered the Milanese loop separate, I got the SS watch with the black rubber, for dress down events. Looking forward to your review once you get it in hand. I will not have mine till June, which is a bummer. If I was Tim I would make those that pre ordered top priority.

9. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

I'm sure they're trying to get them out as soon as possible! Anyway, I'll be writing a full review, possibly with 4K video as well ;)