Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DocSmitty

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Wouldn't it be deliciously evil if some of those test images came with yellower 'white' on the bottom of the gray box? :D

But yeah.. this is one place where I believe ignorance is bliss. If I don't notice yellow, why would I want to download something designed to make me notice yellow? For anyone who has the Sony XBR LCD TVs, perhaps you remember the backlight leakage of a year or two ago? The sort of thing where until someone told you about it, you were 100% happy with the TV... then you heard about a "problem" and lo and behold, your tv was now "defective."

I'm not saying the severe yellow tint issues that exist are not a defect. What I am saying is that if you do not see it during normal use (the very mild ones), who cares?

<DocSmitty dons flame resistant track suit and helmet>

Enzo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
I just tried the test from the first post.
Tested on 2.6 Matte.
No yellow color.

Enzo

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
thanks but no thanks..

what's next if this is negative?
the RED tint test?
or the blue tint test?

i find it amazing how many people are looking for imperfections..
pardon my ignorance, but if i hven't come along this thread, i wouldn't know abou this.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
thanks for the very encouraging feedback, hope other uses will spare a moment to take the linked tests...

Ant1-Hero

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Montreal
i took the time(10 min) to calibrate my screen, now everything is fine, just change it from default settings

lexlix

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
I dont' think people are looking for imperfections. If you're doing design work, which is what the MBP is intended for, you need to know that what you're seeing is accurate.

If it doens't bother you then move on. If it does you can exchange it.

Issues shouldn't be muffled bc some people like to be kept ignorant.

thanks but no thanks..

the RED tint test?
or the blue tint test?

pardon my ignorance, but if i hven't come along this thread, i wouldn't know abou this.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
thanks but no thanks..

the RED tint test?
or the blue tint test?

You know, it's actually a REAL issue, not just a fantasy among pixel-peepers. It's awful working on a display that has a piss-yellow tint in the lower 1/3 that taints everything that passes past it. If it were all over, that would be more acceptable, but it's only in one part. You may not care, but is that hard to understand that a lot of people spent a lot of their money on these machines and got displays that are defective?

Glad you don't have the lower 1/3 yellow tint issue!

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Also, could people post their LCD manufacturers?

It can be seen under system preferences- displays - color - select ColorLCD and click on open profile - the model number is available under number 13

09c68: Samsung
09c67: LG

and I forgot the others....

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
You have some people saying no yellow.
But the last batch there where some people saying no yellow.

I know I had a yellow one. I am willing to bet they didn't fix the yellow or they would of went up in screen resolution. Probably trying to get rid of they rest of their junk screens first.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
You have some people saying no yellow.
But the last batch there where some people saying no yellow.

I know I had a yellow one. I am willing to bet they didn't fix the yellow or they would of went up in screen resolution. Probably trying to get rid of they rest of their junk screens first.

You're probably right, this might be kind of meaningless given how many people just don't see it (which is a good thing for them, of course) and how we'll probably get as many people who see the yellow as those who don't.

Chances are Apple hasn't changed anything and it's just a matter of luck if you end up with a good display or a bad one - just like it was before! If I remember correctly, the LG display I had (purchased early fall) was manufactured in January 2007 which means that Apple probably has old stock it's using, stock that probably has both good and bad samples.

It seems that Apple is bad at addressing these kind of large issues head on, and that it prefers to just ride them out until either people get tired of complaining or they introduce a new model. A little disappointing.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
thanks but no thanks..

the RED tint test?
or the blue tint test?

I had a SR MBP 2.2 Ghz I return yesterday to order the new MBP. I can assure you it was no small issue. On a white background everything in the lower end of the screen looked "dirty". It was especially annoying when using a word processor.
It's true that some people reported clean screens on the previous model, but so far no one report a yellow screen on the test pattern linked in the original post. It looks good, Apple might have fixed it. I am sure they had hundreds, if not thousands, or SR MBPs returned due to the yellowing issue, so they might have taken stock and correctly the issue for good...[ FYI, I tested a Macbook Air at the Apple Store last night, and it most certainly did NOT have the yellow tint issue - colour was perfectly uniform throughout...
Keep the report comin' please :)

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Canada
I am hoping that by now all the bad screens have been used up.
I'm also hoping the new screens have a better refresh rate..

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Before running that test, take this test...

Are the red squares the same color on the top vs the bottom of this image?

greensq.gif

Are all the gray dots the same color and shade?

contrast.gif

If you answered no to either of these questions don't bother taking the test.

As I've said in other threads, I reserve the right to be wrong, but I believe this "problem" is nothing more than an optical illusion.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Before running that test, take this test... ...

it's interesting that, despite many people here being 100% certain that there is a real yellowing problem, you continue to believe that it's an optical illusion. I've used laptops as my main machines since the mid-90s and I know exactly when something is wrong with the display and when it's a matter of optical illusion. Yellow is yellow and white is white and when you see them side by side, there is a considerable difference and contrast between the two. It's not a matter of interpretation or subjectivity. There may well be people who are imagining the problem, but that doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
it's interesting that, despite many people here being 100% certain that there is a real yellowing problem, you continue to believe that it's an optical illusion. I've used laptops as my main machines since the mid-90s and I know exactly when something is wrong with the display and when it's a matter of optical illusion. Yellow is yellow and white is white and when you see them side by side, there is a considerable difference and contrast between the two. It's not a matter of interpretation or subjectivity. There may well be people who are imagining the problem, but that doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.

Clearly, this thread is becoming more and more informative..
so if there is a yellowish tint, that's ground for an exchange?
sorry if i'm too busy... (lazy ahem) to go with the fine print of the return and exchange policies..
i assume they won't replace the LED, instead they'll give you a different MBP?

please correct me if i'm wrong! thanks

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007

Seeing is believing. I saw the "yellowing problem" on my MBP using the image posted by the OP. But, in fact, my MBP doesn't have a yellowing problem in reality. At least for me it was an optical illusion. Perhaps there is a real issue, I did reserve the right to be wrong.

But before people get all excited about a problem they should understand that their eyes can easily be tricked as the two images I posted prove.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Before running that test, take this test... ...

This problem is real. I dont know if some people may have been imagining it, but I had that problem and a manager at the apple store saw it as well and agreed to replace my screen. It was only the samsung screens that had the issues.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Before I got my screen replaced, windows got darker when I dragged them to the bottom of the screen, there was yellowing too.

My new screen doesn't have the problem that I can tell.

DocSmitty

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I absolutely believe that there was a true issue with the bottom 1/3rd of the screen yellowing. Significant coloration from any angle that can be seen during normal use did happen.

What I *DO NOT* believe is that the people who first noticed it after seeing that test image posted and never noticed it during normal use, and then continued to notice an issue afterwards, actually had a defective product. They are the ones who are dealing with an optical illusion.

Edit: I am working on a 23" sharp LCD right now. the bottom 1/4th looks vaguely discolored.. yellow even.. my eyes are even with the top 1/3rd of the screen not the bottom 1/3rd. ;)

I think the latter is best seen by using that picture some guy in this forum whipped up where there are two white bars on top and bottom. I had a SR MBP where the yellow was so subtle that you couldn't see it unless you ran the test. However, once I did it bothered me, mentally, so much that I had to return it.
Snipped from This other thread about the same thing

cottington

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Evidence

Here are some unaltered pics I took in a dark room. Some were from different angles and distances. The yellow band at the bottom is noticeable in every picture.

It's the 2.2 SR with the 09c68 Samsung display. I went to the Apple store and got it the very day they were announced last June. I noticed the yellow right away. I read online about how others had seen it too, but I guess I thought I could live with it, so I didn't return it. Now that the new models have come out, I'm anxious to see if there is a similar problem. I really can live with it, but I feel I shouldn't have to for the price I paid. Like others have mentioned, when you know it's there, it bothers you. I am within the 1 year warranty, but I don't think Apple will respond very well to any sort of complaint.

mbpyellow1pu8.jpg
mbpyellow2xv4.jpg
mbpyellow3or9.jpg
mbpyellow4nj9.jpg
mbpyellow5kk5.jpg
mbpyellow6zt2.jpg
mbpyellow7tj3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.