44k in trash won't delete locks computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Isozaki, May 26, 2011.

1. Isozaki macrumors newbie

44,000 items are in my trash and its locking the computer up to the point i am getting really pissed off.

I have a 2011 macbook pro with 10.6.7 osx. I have had to hard start the computer 3 times today and I know this is bad for my hard drives. I have no idea how 44,000 items got into trash I have not been deleteing that much in just 3 hours or so. How can i delete the files and then limit the trash can to 100mb. I am god D*** there should be a limit to the damn trash can to start with.

2. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

Are you using "Secure Empty Trash"? If you are, try disabling it to see if the deletion process is quicker.

Attached Files:

3. Isozaki thread starter macrumors newbie

No I am not.
    sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

That does not work either. It asks for a password and it says

Last login: Thu May 26 20:23:41 on ttys000
    name-removed-MacBook-Pro:~ Iphyy$ sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
    Password:
    Sorry, try again.
    Password:

I don't have a password set i never did. I think whats going to have to happen is I am going to have to copy everything to another 2tb hard drive and format this one. Its going to be the only way I think. I am going to try to just empty it right before I go to bed and see if 9 hours is enough time to let it do its thing but this really blows and I am really pissed at this point.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

5. Isozaki thread starter macrumors newbie

6. tcador macrumors regular

Have you tried deleting chunks of files instead of all at once or does it fail even on a small subset of files?

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6: sudo command requires a non-blank admin password

Basically, that command didn't work because you don't have a password. Set one, run that command, then remove the password if you wish. Simple as that.

jW