45G o 'other' on SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by boogiedout, Nov 6, 2014.

1. boogiedout macrumors member

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can help me gain some space back on my mid 2012 macbook air 128gb. After upgrading to yosemitie I have 45 GB in the other section of my SSD. Is this normal? any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 20.24.26.png

2. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

"OmniDiskSweeper" download would help narrow down the area of contention.

< http://www.omnigroup.com/more >

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

4. boogiedout thread starter macrumors member

This has just cleared me 17gb's of space. I'm not really sure whats safe and not safe to delete though. Cheers:)

5. motrek macrumors 68020

I've used a program called Disk Inventory X which I can recommend. Gives you a nice sorted list and graphic showing where your storage space is going. Doesn't clean anything for you automatically but easy enough to do it by hand.

6. John marts macrumors member

I second this. Its extremely helpful with knowing what to delete. Really comes in handy with freeing up space with my 128GB drive

7. boogiedout thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all

This was my first post and I would like to thank you all for your help!