Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RZetlin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
With Windows XP if I wanted to lock up my workstation I would use Ctrl+Alt+Del and select the lock workstation.

How do I perform the same action on my Mac?

mstens

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
If you got a password on your account ..then just log-out ..

then you'll need a password to log back-in..

Very inconvenient to have to restart all applications though.

Do this, set it so you have to use a password to bring it back from a screen saver then use the expose and spaces preferences to create a hot corner to activate that.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Open keychain access, go to preferences, and have it show the status in the menu bar. The icon will be there, just click on lock screen under its menu. A screen saver might start, but it will prompt you for your password to be able to access it again.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
there are many ways that are explained above but i like this the best. tick "Enable fast user switching" in Login Options in Accounts preferences. then click the icon in the menu bar and click "Login Window". this takes you to the login screen and saves your current session to RAM so you can resume instantly after the block effect!

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I ended up using the hot corner method to auto-start my screen saver, which locks the screen at the same time. Just move the mouse down to the lower left corner and walk away :)

-Bryan

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Another option, and one most like the Windows functionality you are describing, is to use the keychain.

Open up Keychain Access in Applications -> Utilities
In Preferences, select Show Status in Menu Bar

The lock icon will now show in your menu bar with the top option in the pulldown being Lock Screen.

This is my preference because I don't like having to enter in a password every time I'm at home waking my computer from sleep or bringing it out of a screen saver. But it gives me the opportunity to bring up the screen saver in locked mode on an individual case basis without adjusting system preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.