How do I lock my Mac - (Ctrl+Alt+Del)?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RZetlin, Apr 3, 2008.

1. RZetlin macrumors regular

RZetlin

With Windows XP if I wanted to lock up my workstation I would use Ctrl+Alt+Del and select the lock workstation.

How do I perform the same action on my Mac?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I would enable password lock on my screensaver, then use that as a lock.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

If you got a password on your account ..then just log-out ..

then you'll need a password to log back-in..

4. mstens macrumors member

Very inconvenient to have to restart all applications though.

Do this, set it so you have to use a password to bring it back from a screen saver then use the expose and spaces preferences to create a hot corner to activate that.

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Open keychain access, go to preferences, and have it show the status in the menu bar. The icon will be there, just click on lock screen under its menu. A screen saver might start, but it will prompt you for your password to be able to access it again.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

there are many ways that are explained above but i like this the best. tick "Enable fast user switching" in Login Options in Accounts preferences. then click the icon in the menu bar and click "Login Window". this takes you to the login screen and saves your current session to RAM so you can resume instantly after the block effect!

7. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

there is also a Dashboard widget which can bring up the login window. Very convenient. Tutorial on my site.

/Rupert

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

theres also a terminal command to make the login window appear over the desktop without the cube effect. i cant remember what it is ive been trying to find it for ages. does anyone know?

9. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I ended up using the hot corner method to auto-start my screen saver, which locks the screen at the same time. Just move the mouse down to the lower left corner and walk away :)

-Bryan

10. quest4apple macrumors member

The easiest way I have found is to set the computer to require a password to wake up from sleep. You can then hit the power button (easier on a laptop than the desktop) and then hit the S key for Sleep.

Though there isn't anything listed here to answer your question, I have found this keyboard shortcut list to be a very valuable reference.

http://www.usingmac.com/2007/11/21/mac-os-x-leopard-200-productivity-booster-hotkeys

11. newbie2008 macrumors member

there's a widget that locks your comp and sends you to the login screen...but keeps all your applications set...i'm sure that is what it does...try it out...
    i have that widget but only used it once...as i just prefer to have my screen saver to pop up as i have it prompt for password once screen saver is on...

lock widget: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/networking_security/locker.html

12. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Another option, and one most like the Windows functionality you are describing, is to use the keychain.

Open up Keychain Access in Applications -> Utilities
    In Preferences, select Show Status in Menu Bar

The lock icon will now show in your menu bar with the top option in the pulldown being Lock Screen.

This is my preference because I don't like having to enter in a password every time I'm at home waking my computer from sleep or bringing it out of a screen saver. But it gives me the opportunity to bring up the screen saver in locked mode on an individual case basis without adjusting system preferences.