47 Hours to get 10.5.3 up Date - Advice Plese

Discussion in 'macOS' started by siam, Jun 11, 2008.

1. siam macrumors regular

Ive just come to up date my new iMac to 10.5.3 , and due to me only having a very slow dial up internet connection, when ive just clicked on the software up date panel, and its telling me it will take 47 Hours to download this up date.

The internet provider I use has a 30 Day unlimited use, but with a maximum of 5 hours usage time at any one time, so if I try and download this up date , the 5 hour maximum limit will disconnect the download.

is there any way I can may be use a download manager
    so I can reconnect the up date , and continue the downloaded from where it was disconnected.?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Download it somewhere else (you can get the combo update at Apple.Com) and burn it do a DVD. That will work fine.

3. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks netdog , ive found the combo update at Apple.Com
    and can use Firefox's DownThemAll , to download it, as this is my first Mac, and first up date download ,

The DownThemAll
    panel is asking me ..

1. save files in
    2. renaming remark
    3.checksum (Hash ) ... MD5

I am not too sure what to put in the 1-2-3 above ..?

any ideas please..?

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Apple's software update does carry on from where it left off if your internet connection breaks. Just use software update every day and it'll automatically continue from where it left off.

Shees! 10 days to download the update. God how I hated dial-up.
    You could always try and find faster internet (library? Wi-fi hot spot?)

If you insist on using DTA! (to be honest it doesn't work every time and it's SO frustrating when you get to 70% and it comes up with 'error' meaning you have to start all over again) you only need to fill in step 1 - save files in. Ignore the others.

Use software updater though. I works fine.

5. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Hi pjrobertson , I get use to the very slow internet connection living here in Thailand , I live too far out in the
    sticks to get ADSL , and the satellite internet connection
    has a very bad reputation and a High cost , :( .

Thanks for the info about ... Apple's software update does carry on from where it left off .. thats some thing I did not know , so I will start downloading to night , and see where its got to in the morning , and carry on from there

its much appreciated :)