Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
That mayhem will go here.

Does anyone know how to extract the rom from the card once someone receives it?

antsh

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2007
San Francisco
I am assuming it will be the same as extracting any other rom from an 8800. Just a matter of booting in a DOS variant and using NVflash to pull the rom.

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
please dont post it, do you really think they will backwards support if people do **** like this?

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
please dont post it, do you really think they will backwards support if people do **** like this?

Doesn't the 8800 go for 150$ on Newegg? 300 from Apple? This is why people flash cheaper cards. I already bought a 3k computer that came stock with a 50$ pos card and I refuse to pay 2x the price for another. Just a few months ago Apple was selling the x1900 for 399$. That is a little insulting. I don't mind paying a premium for Apple graphics cards because it costs Apple a bit more I am sure - but 2x is a bit excessive. Most users will still buy the card of course - but offering good graphics cards options should really be about pleasing the high end user who already spends tons of money with Apple. Apple prices their graphics cards to make huge profit off their best customers. Maybe I am missing something but this is how it seems to me.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Doesn't the 8800 go for 150$ on Newegg? 300 from Apple? This is why people flash cheaper cards. I already bought a 3k computer that came stock with a 50$ pos card and I refuse to pay 2x the price for another.

Right, and if everyone had that attitude, Apple wouldn't bother
supplying the card, and you wouldn't have the EFI ROM to use.

I think we would all agree that Apple's upgrade prices can be a
little bit excessive (e.g., for memory). But this is decidedly not
the most extreme example of that.

And there's nothing wrong with the stock card. It's perfectly
adequate for what many want to do with these machines.

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
they spend money in R&D, have to recoup it somehow... and the mac market is smaller than the PC market.

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Right, and if everyone had that attitude, Apple wouldn't bother supplying the card, and you wouldn't have the EFI ROM to use.
To all you panic-prone Apple fanboyz: I'll put money on the likelihood that Jobs and the R&D crowd don't give a rat's behind about the infinitesimal number of Macheads flashing PC 8800GT cards for rev. 1 and 2 Pros. The vast majority of Mac users know absolutely diddley about EFI, rom-flashing, etc., and couldn't care less. Believe this: Apple will sell thousands of their branded cards and the Cupertino bean counters will sleep just fine, thank you.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
So now that the cards are showing up in peoples hands, any chance of pulling the ROM? I've got an 8800 GT I'd like to flash until my local Apple store gets these cards in. (Already called, none yet) :(

Thanks.

mgsarch

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
To all you panic-prone Apple fanboyz: I'll put money on the likelihood that Jobs and the R&D crowd don't give a rat's behind about the infinitesimal number of Macheads flashing PC 8800GT cards for rev. 1 and 2 Pros. The vast majority of Mac users know absolutely diddley about EFI, rom-flashing, etc., and couldn't care less. Believe this: Apple will sell thousands of their branded cards and the Cupertino bean counters will sleep just fine, thank you.

I think you're right. And that's why they keep winning while other companies make futile costly efforts to prevent the unpreventable.

8800GT < Quadro anyway ..... ; )

(just being a little joker! haha, i know they're different. I wish I could use a 8800 instead of a card that costs about as much as my MP did.)

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
So now that the cards are showing up in peoples hands, any chance of pulling the ROM? I've got an 8800 GT I'd like to flash until my local Apple store gets these cards in. (Already called, none yet) :(

Thanks.

What's the point in buying another Geforce 8800 GT if you already have one? :confused:

It just need the new rom and it should be set ;)

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006

It strikes me as being funny as hell we have people like this on here saying don’t upload the rom. It was just fine when people uploaded the rom for the EFI64 cards and also posted instructions on how to do it in order to save people 100.00 per card and then you get people like this. I say go ahead and POST it it helps anyone who has already either purchased the card from a new Mac Pro or happens to have a card laying around from a pc. And for reference here is the 8800GT EFI64 thread with instructions and links.

mariusaz

macrumors member
May 10, 2007
Ooooooh. I am so in awe of the mayhem. Doesn't seem to be much happening in here is there. Maybe the rest of the community is too inept to figure it out?

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Perhaps the card is has not reached members yet, or maybe people are just accepting Apples prices.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
to the OP just google 8800gt.rom it usually pulls up the original PC to Mac 8800 thread. One of the posts has a link to the rom and the nvflash tools to flash the mac rom over the PC one. **BUT** You DO need a 128k rom 8800 graphics card.. if you have a Circuit City near by check out the e-GeForce 8800GT superclocked edition (made by eVGA) it comes in a gold/black box.

To the rest of the peeps grow up paying $280 for a card that SHOULD be 150 now is a rip off pure and simple it shouldnt take an extra $130 and a few seconds for a tech at nvidia to preflash a 128k EFI rom to their cards.. I'm sorry

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
To the rest of the peeps grow up paying $280 for a card that SHOULD be 150 now is a rip off pure and simple it shouldnt take an extra $130 and a few seconds for a tech at nvidia to preflash a 128k EFI rom to their cards.. I'm sorry

Grow up? Some people don't want the hassle with a) having to flash the card and b) having to swap the card out if anything goes wrong with the computer back to the Apple supplied card just so they can use their Apple care.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Grow up? Some people don't want the hassle with a) having to flash the card and b) having to swap the card out if anything goes wrong with the computer back to the Apple supplied card just so they can use their Apple care.

Then those people should go back to drinking their Starbucks and buying iMacs :rolleyes:

Seriously a) it takes less then 5 minutes and a chimp to do it. (and really a chimp could) b) No problem barring the ethical issue here just go dump the card back to where you bought it and get a different one if the flash fails. c) Apple care is about as big of a waste of money as the rest of those so called "insurance" plans. Really if you're that worried about your computer breaking past a year then you probably shouldn't own a Mac and if you have extra $$$ burning your pocket send the amount you would of spent on Applecare + Mac 8800GT ($130 difference) and send it to me :D

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark

Actually the price is normally $200 and the rom supporting EFI does not make itself.

People actually write those things and they need money to do it.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Then those people should go back to drinking their Starbucks and buying iMacs

Did it ever occur to you that there are still a few tech illiterate people out there? Something on the order of 5,000,000,000+.

There are many tech literate people who would not delve into command line workings to flash a card simply because they are out of their comfort zone when not dealing with a GUI. That's why these people buy cards with the proper ROM; they know that it is cheaper to do it by flashing, but are not confident in their ability to not screw it up and deal with having wasted their money.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Did it ever occur to you that there are still a few tech illiterate people out there? Something on the order of 5,000,000,000+.

There are many tech literate people who would not delve into command line workings to flash a card simply because they are out of their comfort zone when not dealing with a GUI. That's why these people buy cards with the proper ROM; they know that it is cheaper to do it by flashing, but are not confident in their ability to not screw it up and deal with having wasted their money.

So does that justify apple taking extra $$ for the card?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Did you say the same thing in the EFI64 thread? Just wondering.

I'm indifferent.

I was just trying to indicate there is a reason the Apple made Geforce 8800 GT is more expensive.

I'm all for the posting of the EFI32 rom but I was posting in response to MacNoobie.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
I'm indifferent.

I was just trying to indicate there is a reason the Apple made Geforce 8800 GT is more expensive.

I'm all for the posting of the EFI32 rom but I was posting in response to MacNoobie.

Then please accept my apologies. It just annoys me that some people act this way.

MrManson

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2008
I'm indifferent.

If it's not posted here by the time I receive mine tomorrow I'll post it as soon as I get it.

twitch757

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
If it's not posted here by the time I receive mine tomorrow I'll post it as soon as I get it.

Help us MrManson, you are our only hope ...

I'll erect a shrine to your awesomeness in my front yard as a testament to your kindness and generosity once we can set our 8800 GTs free!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.