Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should there be an iPhone dev category?

• Yes

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I think we need 2 categories: Mac Programming and iPhone Programming. What do you think?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Dunno. I better solution would be general programming and Apple programming. Quite a few programming questions are platform agnostic as well as the standard Cocoa, iPhone and Carbon based questions.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I disagree. They both have lots in common, I don't see a reason to separate the two.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
I don't think so. You may think the iPhone questions are annoying here, but I don't think there's enough activity to justify a subforum split. Not only that, but there are many similarities between Cocoa and Cocoa Touch. Even though I'm only working on Cocoa Touch apps right now, I can sometimes answer someone's question who's doing Mac development and vice versa for others. I think splitting them up would only lead to less people answering questions on either side of the divide.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I think that everything should stay here. I'd rather have to skip something when I see it's dealing with CoreLocation than have someone miss getting their question answered because it was asked in the iPhone forum and someone who knows a lot of cocoa didn't see it because they weren't looking at that forum. I think that would probably lead to a lot of cross-posting anyway and it wouldn't lead to "cleaner" forums.

I think those of us trying to help out have a good idea of what our core competencies are and how to spot questions we can help out with. As stated, if you see something dealing with a CoreImage issue and you've never used it, you're probably going to be hard-pressed to help out.

-Lee

BigJimSlade

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2005
I voted yes, but now I think about it, I think I'd like a "yes I've read the documentation and a book or two" forum, and a "I've not read a damn thing, but I wrote 3 lines of VB once and now I'd like to write an OpenGL game on the iPhone in 3 days" forum.

:D

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
It's just that there has been such a huge rush in iPhone dev that all the newbies flood the forum with beginner questions. When an OS X developer comes here to give some help on applications, etc, they'll have to sift through pages upon pages of non-applicable iPhone threads.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I too voted "yes" but I imagined that the iPhone programming would be a subset of "iPhone" rather than a separate "child forum" of "Mac Programming."

I thought that those who would be interested in discussing iPhone programming would most likely head to the iPhone forum first since using an iPhone is not inclusive of using a Mac.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
I too voted "yes" but I imagined that the iPhone programming would be a subset of "iPhone" rather than a separate "child forum" of "Mac Programming."

I thought that those who would be interested in discussing iPhone programming would most likely head to the iPhone forum first since using an iPhone is not inclusive of using a Mac.

"iPhone Programming" is, however, extremely similar to Cocoa development and is not open to development using other platforms. That is, unless you use the toolchain, but toolchain-related questions have been few and far between so far which means that iPhone development is exclusive to Macs for the most part.

I don't think it should be a subforum at all, but if its going to be subforum then iPhone is definitely not the place for it.

kyre: The threads on the FIRST page on Mac Programming go all the way back to last Thursday. Subforum splits are usually reserved for extremely high-traffic forums, like iPhone or MacBookPro/MacBook used to be. I don't think Mac Programming simply has the volume to support two separate, distinct subforums without having an adverse effect on both sides on the divide.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Question?

How hard would it be to open up a separate sub category for iPhone Dev, to see if it does indeed need it's own sub category. If it doesn't, if it is not getting the amount of traffic to make it worth while, shut it down and merge it into the other programming category. However if it does, it stays open.

Just an option.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Floodgates imply a greater need for iPhone dev forum

The floodgates are open! A good portion of the current generic Developers forum was filled with iPhone and SDK questions. That was with only 4k out of 25k applications accepted.

Now Apple is opening development on an actual iPhone to over 5 times more developers. Their own support channels will be flooded.

An iPhone specific Developer forum here could only help them out, and allow a better refuge for people with Mac specific development issues.

Plus, the iPhone SDK is no longer labeled "Beta" in the Apple Dev Center.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I agree. now that the SDK is out of beta, people can talk about it.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.