47GB of Sparsebundles files with no TM or iDisk?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zombieflanders, Aug 26, 2008.

1. zombieflanders macrumors member

I've been running out of disc space on my MBP, so I downloaded the OmniDiskSweeper tool to see what was taking up so much space. It turns out that there's 47GB of "sparsebundle" files at 8MB apiece in the directory /Users/.zombieflanders/zombieflanders.sparsebundle/bands. A quick check on the intertubes seems to link the problem to either Time Machine or iDisk, neither of which I use. Verify/Repair Disk Permissions doesn't do anything, and Verify Disk says nothing is wrong, therefore it won't let me use Repair Disk.

Is there is any way that I can recover this space?

EDIT: Also, Empty Trash no longer frees up disk space. Indeed, it seems to contribute to the "sparsebundle" files which even more frustratingly decreases disk space. :mad:

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Turn off Time Machine in System Prefs - it's obviously making backups. Then toss the sparsebundles.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

4. zombieflanders thread starter macrumors member

I never turned it on (at least as far as I can tell), that's part of the problem.
    Yes. And when I try turning it off it says--and I'm not making this up--"Turning off FileVault requires an additional 47.3 GB of free disk space on the volume "zombieflanders". Try emptying the Trash or deleting files you don't need."

Oh, the irony...

5. superted666 Guest

superted666

You could try removing the files manually using the rm command from the terminal.

or you could use something like onyx to force the OSX tidy scripts to run which might clear it down.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

All of that 43GBs odd is because of FileVault. Basically sparse image files are encrypted files.

7. zombieflanders thread starter macrumors member

So can I simply delete these files, or do I have to use the terminal command(s)? I feel queasy about doing the latter, but if there's an easy-to-medium difficulty tutorial, I'm all for it.

8. zombieflanders thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I found out the files are actually located in a DMG image named "zombieflanders.sparsebundle". Is it safe to delete this DMG?