48 hours after water spill - What to do with applecare..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dinamo9, Apr 18, 2008.

1. dinamo9 macrumors member

Some of you may have already seen my initial post after the spill here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=471320&highlight=dinamo9

48 hours later. My mac boots up, no problems with keyboard, speakers, screen, or battery. So far so good.

Now, I have a decision to make. I bought this computer 3 weeks ago with applecare at a discounted price. After looking through the applecare policies, I found out that you can be refunded the whole amount of applecare within 30 days of purchase. In my initial post some users told me my warranty would be dead, but someone else mentioned that's only IF they notice water damage. Now the question is, do you think I should get my applecare refunded?

Thanks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If water got inside your machine, Apple will be able to tell

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Get your Applecare refunded the warranty is void.

4. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Go get a refund apple will easily be able to tell if they have to open your computer up.

5. dinamo9 thread starter macrumors member

Say I cancel it now..then I take it in for a problem 6 months from now (still in the 1 year warranty period) they fix the problem without finding any water damage, will I then be able to re purchase apple care and put it on the laptop?

6. DachWuff macrumors newbie

Yeah get the cash back, i dunno if mac does it but most phone and laptop companies put little dot stickers in strategic places that if they get wet they change color. So unless you can replace those (they are hard as heck to find/harvest I know) they will notice and you will get stuck with a bunk machine and a shipping charge.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Are you saying it works fine now? If so why bother you still have 3 years of Applecare. Be happy it works and keep on trucking.

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yeah, he has 3 years of AppleCare that he won't be able to use if he ever needs to send it in for repairs... Get your money back IMO...

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If i were you, perhaps you should consider getting a refund for the AppleCare... after which, if you need something to cover your system you might wanna invest into some Laptop Insurance, with a policy that's old for new. Read the fine print but usually they'll cover accidents.

10. amoda macrumors 6502a

Yup, that's the smart thing to do. You can purchase the extended warranty within 1 year of purchasing your laptop.

11. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Very true there are very few liquids that wont leave a residue behind.