48 hours with iPod Touch - still no music!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by no-direction, Dec 26, 2007.

1. no-direction macrumors member

Hello,

I've had my Touch now for almost 48 hours and still have had no success in getting any music to sync with it! Music 'appears' to sync from iTunes on my Mac - it gets copied over to the iPod Touch, takes up the memory space (and takes a while to copy over as there's a fair bit of it).

When this is complete, the iPod Touch under about shows that the space is taken up with the music copied over, but when the 'music' icon in the bottom left is tapped the message 'No Music' appears.

I've tried a couple of restores and these don't seem to do the trick. All of the music is either ripped from CDs I own or from the iTunes Store - in m4a or mp3 format.

I'm using the latest version of iTunes (7.5), running Mac OS X 10.4.11 on a 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac.

Photos and Address Book sync and display fine on the iPod Touch.

Please can someone help, I'm going slightly crazy trying to get this to work and just cannot figure out why music which has been copied to the iPod is not shown.

Thanks,

Nik

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

With the iPod plugged in and iTunes open, click on your iPod icon in the left pane. You should see the iPod summary screen with tabs at the top. Click on the Music tab and make sure that the box that says "Sync Music" is checked. Don't forget to click Apply down in the lower right corner, then click "Sync". See what happens.

3. no-direction thread starter macrumors member

Hmac - thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately this isn't the problem, the box is checked! Un-checking it and syncing and the re-checking it and syncing also has no effect!

I must admit I'm getting completely stumped!

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

What program did you use to rip these songs to mp3, and what were the settings such as bit rate, sample size, stereo type, etc.?

5. no-direction thread starter macrumors member

All the music in my library has been ripped from CDs that I own using the default settings in various versions of iTunes from iTunes 4 through to iTunes 7.5, so the majority are in .m4a format.

Thanks

6. Cosmo modo macrumors member

Try this:

Go to your settings menu on your iPod. In Genereal settings you will find the option to restore and erase. Do that, that should reset your iPod completely.

It's probably a weird driver issue on your iPod.

7. Quit / macrumors newbie

I can get some music to play, but some just silently count on five seconds then skip to the next track.

I think we both have duff iPods.
    I really wouldn't put myself through the pain of reformatting, resetting, begging, pleading and violence that comes with a faulty Apple product.

Return it right away for a refund or replacement.
    It really is the only option.

You will go mad trying to figure out why your iPod hates you, and Apple will talk to you like a stupid child if you ask them for help.

Return it and get another one.

I'm going down the pub with the money I'll get back*

(*maybe not, but I won't be getting another touch).

8. Quit / macrumors newbie

I think you'll find he's already done that.
    When giving iPod help, please read and understand what the original person is asking. :rolleyes:

9. no-direction thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for everyone's help here.

I've managed to get music to sync properly now just by creating a new user profile on Mac OS X. I'm not sure why this would solve the problem but I recommend anyone else having issues give it a go - when I finally get round to getting Leopard it looks like a clean install maybe in order for me!

10. Cosmo modo macrumors member

I clearly stated to do a reset on your iPod, not via iTunes.