480gb OCZ Vertex 3 little REVIEW

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pedrofan, May 24, 2011.

1. pedrofan, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

pedrofan macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, I have just bought a 480gb OCZ Vertex 3 SSD in a spanish forum for 600€. I had a 240gb Vertex Model, but in the moment I saw the post selling the other for that price I returned mine quickly and bought this one for almost the same price!!.

I'm here because I have noticed that the advertised specifications that you can see in the ocz data sheet in their site are not so accurate at all. I have the luck of having saved an AJA test of the many I made to my older 240gb model so I can compare both, and with the 240gb OWC 6g Aja benchmark as I saw it in youtube.

· The advertised specifications provided by OCZ are these:

[​IMG]

It seems that when you increase the capacity of the disk the number of read IOPS increases and the number of write IOPS decreases, however, the speed peaks seem to be top notch in the 240gb model and decreases al lot in writing in the 480gb model.

· This is the screenshot of my 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 AJA system test transfer speeds that I had saved in my computer:

[​IMG]

· And here are my 480gb AJA system test marks. You can see that the speed peaks superpasses 500mb/s in both read an write, and the average read and write speeds are even faster than the 240gb model and the write peaks are a lot faster than advertised...

[​IMG]

· Here it is a screenshot of this video, where you can see the AJA system test on a 240gb OWC 6g

[​IMG]

· My conclusions, seeing only these AJA tests are that the 240gb Vertex 3 is a little bit slower than the 480gb one that has a lot more power than advertised, since you can see in the screenshot that it has writing speed peaks of over 511mb/s, not 450.

The owc seems to be the faster in write speeds but similar in read speeds, and a little bit slower than the 480gb vertex 3 that reaches 520mb/s.

All these tests have been made on a 8gb ram 2,3ghz quad core 17" 2011 macbook pro and 2.02 OCZ firmware (the original, not updated to 2.06 as it seems to be impossible to me).

It would be great if you post your AJA test benchmarks too :D

2. pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

Here you can see an AJA test in the 120gb VERTEX 3 model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnsSiF0q0Fw

Write: 435mb/s (peak of 489,7)
    Read: 493.1mb/s (peak of 522,8)

So it is a lot slower than de 480gb one...

The OCZ advertising doesn't seem to represent the real world at all, as it puts the 120gb model a lot faster than the 480gb model and it is not true at all, it is the opposite...

3. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Do you know if the benchmark uses compressible or incompressible data?

4. pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

It uses 4kb video frames. Does it answer your question?

5. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Should be mostly incompressible then. Thanks.

6. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Makes me excited to get my 120GB 6G even more!

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

There's really nothing between both results in the real world.

9. pedrofan, May 24, 2011

pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

120gb OWC 6g seems to be a little bit worse than 120gb vertex 3 one or almost the same in other tests:

Vía this review of anand tech, Anand says litterally that "OWC drive's 4KB random write performance is capped", but it seems to happen only in 120gb version and he suggests it would be corrected in future firmware updates.

However, 240gb OWC's seems to be faster than 240gb Vertex 3 ones.

From what I have read, I can tell you that in 120gb models OCZ wins, in 240gb model OWC wins and in 480gb models nobody knows as OWc hasn't already shipped them.

And I'm talking about regular Vertex 3, not the max IOPS version...

10. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm assuming then you and others would recommend the vertex 3 in the 120gb range??

11. pedrofan, May 24, 2011

pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

As they are almost the same it is all about future firmware updates.. As Anand says these problems may be corrected in future firmwares. So there are two ways of choosing, by the brand you like or by the reviews that are in the net. I don't recommend any, it is a personal choose. I rather prefer OWC as they manage to take a really small step forward with the time (not noticeable at all in daily usage but it is a placebo effect that makes you feel happy in a strange way.. LOL)... And the blue parts looks stunning XD

I have chosen a 480gb vertex 3 as I got it by a great price (and the OWC's version isn't ready, although I suppose it will be a little bit faster and a "little bit" expensive), but If I had to choose a 240gb or a 120gb one I'd go for an OCZ max IOPS as they uses premium 3x nand chips and not 2x as regular Vertex 3 and OWCs at (more or less) the cost of the seconds. They seem to be faster and they have more writting cicles lifespan, some reasons to forget other options..

12. pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that OCZ has thrown the fishhook to OWC and other brands with the first version of Vertex 3, as they have surprisingly started selling this 3xnm, faster and long lasting version only a few months after, at almost the same price as OWC..

13. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Read the review. It seems to me as though the cap could very well be firmware related. That being said, someone like me probably would never notice the speed difference between the two drives. I am purchasing ram, the data doubler, external optical enclosure, and another external hdd enclosure so I planned on purchasing the 6G from them as well. I assume i have time to try it out and see if it will do what i want with it, which I'm sure it will. If not, i can return it and purchase the Vertex 3

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might check first, but I'm pretty sure OWC has a 15% restocking fee.