480GB OWC Aura Pro 6G SSD on Mid 2011 doesn't deliver full speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Meshari, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Meshari macrumors newbie

Hello

So I upgraded my Hard Drive from 256 GB SSD to the 480GB OWC Aura Pro 6G SSD which promises speed up to 555MB/s read and 532MB/s write.

What I'm getting is about 500B/s read 250MB/s write. My original SSD delivers about 266 MB/S read and write.

I don't know why? I have made sure that all applications are closed but speed has not improved.

So my question is, would the problem be in my computer or in the OWC SSD? Or this is normal? Or should I call OWC and ask for a replacement?

I just want to make sure before I do anything, I know what problem might be.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Your MBA was clearly facing the wind ;)
    Speed varies greatly with file sizes being transferred, but you seem very low :(
    View these ultimate read/write speed as advertised fuel consumption.

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

I had trouble with my OWC 480GB SSD. I returned and replaced it with a Transend JetDrive SSD. IMHO, it'a a much better drive. My review:

My BlackMagic Speed Test with the JetDrive is attached.

I also noticed that you do not have TRIM enabled. OWC says it's not necessary. IMHO, they are FOS.

Lou

Attached Files:

4. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

5. Meshari thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your response!

I talked to them and they asked what program I'm using to measure the speed. And when I told them it was Blackmagic, they said it was not accurate and recommended to use AJA System Test which I did. It showed better results but I don't know if this is what I have paid for. The writing improved to about 390 MB/s and reading to 550 MB/s.

I did not have problems installing the chip as it fit perfectly with no pressure attached. But there was something concerned me a little which was once I turned on the computer and finished installing the software, the computer was laggy for quite a while but today seems to be OK.

I don't know what I should do as I'm leaving for vacation next week and won't be back until September. Should I return it to them and buy the Transcend JetDrive 500 480GB OR Should I wait and see the performance over time and decide then?

6. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^If you read the thread I posted, reliability seems to be a problem. If it were me, and it was, I would return it. If you do, they will tell you that you have to pay a restocking fee and return shipping. I was firm, but calm and talked them out of that. They ended up, per my request, supplying me a return UPS label to my eMail address. But, I will never do business with them again.

Lou