480p content on Netflix horrible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Closingracer, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I wanted to watch Star Trek Voyager on my Macbook pro with retina display and noticed the picture quality isn't that good compared to my TV and this is after watching a TV show in HD on Hulu like 10 minutes prior. Is it me or does Standard def film's/shows just look poor on the screen?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Well there are a lot of factors at play here. You are closer to the screen, so you notice more imperfections. Retina screen is higher res, so lower res content will look grainier than the same size screen, with all else equal, with a lower res screen.

3. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

My 17 inch windows laptop around the same distance does 480p content quite fine.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Which only supports Freyqq's theory above. All else equal, low-res content will look worse on higher res screens than that same content on lower res screens. Your Retina MacBook Pro has a far higher resolution than both your 17" laptop and your TV. And probably higher than both combined.

5. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

I wouldn't go that far and Netflix should still be able to upscale DVD quality images anyways.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

But you are running it at 480p no upscaling etc available when you choose what to run. Just use 1080p or even 720p it'll look much better and most things have a multitude of resolution options.

7. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

Star Trek Voyager was made in the 90's thus it wasn't in HD..... MY TV and other laptop scales it fine but the Macbook isn't. Hulu is ok with SD content being upscaled ....

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- So what we've established is just that Netflix has poor video quality on your rMBP, probably due to a combination of the Netflix player not being optimised for the Retina display and the relationship between low-res content and high-res screens described above.
    There isn't anything wrong here. It's just the way it is.

Also, a film or tv series being made in the 90s doesn't preclude it from being in HD. Most films and tv shows are shot on film, and quite a lot of them have been rescanned and transferred in HD or 4K resolutions and released on Blu-rays and other media.

9. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

And Star trek or basically any show i watched from the 90's hasn't. you would need it to be done....