4850 going bad?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheHumphries, Jan 15, 2010.

1. TheHumphries macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I feel something might be up with my 4850. I get some weird rendering in WoW (in OSX) and it doesn't seem to preform very well in COD4 (in Windows). Seems like these issues recently started.

Anyone else have an issue like this? Seems like when I first started using this system I had no problems. I have installed latest drivers. I have SMCFan going on a higher speed to reduce heating. Done everything I can think of and stilll having issues. Am I missing anything?

I'd like to find some sort of program (OSX prefer) to do a stress test on the graphics card if there is one if there is one.

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Try WoW with SMCFanControl off. Then ramp up the fans with SMCFanControl and try again to see if you observe a difference.

If you do, your card is faulty due to overheating (you wouldn't NEED SMCFanControl, your iMac should look after itself), and you should call Apple.

If it doesn't make a difference then, well, maybe the card is screwed or maybe your WoW install is screwed. Keep probing :p