4870 HD and Dell U2410 on 2009 Mac Pro Quad; good combination?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tar-pony, Mar 20, 2010.

1. tar-pony macrumors newbie

I am a recent PC CONvert and am on the verge of ordering a new Mac Pro. I searched far and wide on the forum for any references to the subject combination to no avail. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody has run into any issues with the 4870/u2410 combo... Specifically, is the non-standard 1920x1200 resolution going to be a problem for the 4870? I searched online, but found no listings showing supported resolutions.

Tnx

2. hyram macrumors regular

I can't speak to the dell u2410, but I am running two 1920x1200 monitors off of my 4870 with no problems at all. Both connected via DVI.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

1920x1200 is a standard 16:10 resolution, there should be no issues.

4. tar-pony thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input... Now, I just need to figure out if I want to pay the apple-tax for the Mac version of the 4870, or flash a PC version. [Yep, there's another thread for that... :cool: ]

Thanks again!

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

It'd be a real dim bulb on this forum who didn't realize there was a thread about that. It's only one of the most popular, useful threads on this forum.

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Do NOT buy the U2410. Just google "Dell 2410 green/pink tint" and you will understand why. The tint problem plagues this display as well as a couple other similar screens. I bought one several months ago and promptly returned it when the left side of my screen was rosy red and the right side a dull brown :( AFTER calibrating it...

In the Dell forums, a rep has claimed the screen is "within spec" because they only test the center of the screen for accuracy :rolleyes:

7. tar-pony thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads-up; unfortunately, it's on the FedEx plane as I type :eek:

8. wibongo macrumors newbie

I have THREE U2410s in my MacPro for Eyefinity gaming under windows (Radeon 5870) and all three screens are perfect after calibration. Just like everything else, not ALL the units are defective. You've also got 21 days to return it for a full refund if it is. I can't stand Dell, but this monitor at the price I paid ($500 each at the time) could not be beat.

I would reccomend a decent calibration tool though, the color from the factory was very bad on all three of them.

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I'm glad your screens are good, but no calibration tool would have fixed my problem (Dell claims this is a "feature") :rolleyes:.

The last I heard, people were still getting lots of tinted screens. I'm not willing to bet $500 on chance I will receive a non-defect unit, especially as they have begun denying replacements for this particular issue. That tells me they received lots of phone calls about the problem ("feature"), and instead of responding in an upright manner, they are simply dismissing their customer's complaints and continuing to market this display as both professional and color-accurate, which clearly is not the case for most customers.

Honestly this would be the perfect display if the picture it produced was worth 2 cents. Perfect size, lots of input options.

10. tar-pony thread starter macrumors newbie

I picked the u2410 up from the FedEx depot this morning, but haven't opened the box yet (still weighing my options, but leaning towards trying it out). Now all I need is a base-sticker-price Mac Pro (planning to buy from MacMall) with a 4850 "on the side" to hook it up to.

Waiting for answer on Dell support forum about whether or not the u2410 can be hooked up to my 8-year-old Dell Dimension 8200 with nVidia GeForce Ti4200, which only outputs up to 1600 x 1200.

Also waiting for an answer from Microsoft (Bing) support about whether or not the supposed MacMall 3% Bing discount will be honored (no indications of Bing discount in ShoppingCart when I segway to the MacMall site from Bing).

And, wondering what monitor would be good to replace the u2410 with should I decide to go that route...

Some progress better than none I suppose...

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

It should work, just not at the 1920x1200 res.

I thought Bing was just cashback, not a discount? :confused:

As far as a Mac Pro, I would also include any of the dual proc models in your search. They seem to be more useful for a longer time, even at lower frequencies. A dual quad 2008 model would be a good value, and you could probably find one at a relatively good price. Unless you are hell bent on buying new... in which case, please proceed :p

12. tar-pony thread starter macrumors newbie

The VGA connection from that old card won't throw some out-of-spec voltages to the new monitor?

When I wrote "discount" I meant "cashback" (= discount delayed 60 days :()

I started out looking at dual quad core machines (used), but parred back some after seeing some good test results with the higher-Hz quads. Discouraged with Apple's pricing, I re-considered buying a Dell for a few months :eek:, but eventually regained my senses :eek: and started looking at used '09 models. My aim is to keep the machine (and update the heck out of it over time) so that it lasts 10 years. I figure if a Dell Dimension 8200 will (sort of) last 8 years, a Mac Pro ought to be able to go at least 10. The '08 Mac Pros have a very good reputation right now, but will make it more difficult to go the decade-distance I think. Also (reason for going "new"), wife knows I'm picky when buying used stuff, so she asks "why don't you buy a new one so I don't have to listen to you bitch about it when something goes wrong with the used one?" I said "OK!!!" :D Our "spousal-negotiated" price for everything is $3500 (including the monitor)...

13. wibongo macrumors newbie

Well, that's where the 21 day return policy comes in. That type of problem is going to be quite obvious from the initial setup.

I doubt the problem is as wide-spread as people would like you to think, or maybe I'm the luckiest person on earth to get three at once that are perfect.

14. tar-pony thread starter macrumors newbie

The mac pro (2.66 GHz, 6 GB, 1.640 TB, 4870) is on order and should ship any day now. Will keep you posted when/if I hook up the u2410 (still sealed in box; keeping options open).

Still interested in hearing about other u2410/4870 experience (good or bad) and alternatives to the 2410...

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

The card will have no problem with that display, or any other with the same resolution. 1920x1200 is a standard 16:10 format, which I'm sure someone else has already pointed out. You could even use a second 2410 with the Mini-displayport.

For the Mini displayport: Any resolution OVER 1920x1200 (i.e. 27-30" displays) will require a $99 dual-link DVI adapter.

There is a 24" IPS HP display that is reviewed well. I think the model is 2475.
    A good site for checking out other IPS/pro monitors would be www.dpreview.com Their forum focuses on photography and graphics, so the people who review displays over there are quite knowledgeable.
    Have you thought about an LED display (not only Apple)? LED IPS displays are quite slim picking at the moment.
    You can pick up a 24" ACD for $599 in the refurb store if you check often, not much more than the 2410.

Do you have, or intend to buy a calibration tool for whichever monitor you choose?

16. tar-pony thread starter macrumors newbie

Last night, I looked at reviews of the HP 2475; seems it has similar issues with green and pink tint, but perhaps not potentially as bad as the U2410. Also, no plans at this time to get a 2nd monitor, and I'd be leery of buying any used monitor, unless perhaps from somebody I know. I use a Samsung 2493HM at work (good for CATIA and PATRAN, but probably not intended for photography; really sharp text though). When and if my employer offers my work monitor as surplus, I will probably look into buying it.

Thanks for the dpreview tip; a co-worker has also mentioned that site; says it's THE site for digital photographers. My interest is primarily with video; my wife is the photographer; she has had digital cameras since the Kodak DC120 (purchased at same time as the original HP PhotoSmart); what a piece of crap that combination turned out to be! Anyway, she now has a Canon Digital Rebel that has served her well over the past four or five years. I will probably get her a calibrator for Christmas (co-worker recommended the Eye-One LT (Gretag Macbeth)...

17. tar-pony thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Recieved the Mac Pro last week and booted for the first time with Dell U2410 on Sunday morning. All looks OK; there IS a very slight (un-objectionable) greenish tint when I change the background to white. Other than that, this monitor/card combination seems to be working just fine out of the box (no settings/profiles changed, yet).

Dell color calibration factory report for our specific unit is attached to this post...

I currently have the monitor connected to the mac with a DVI cable. Any thoughts on whether or not the DisplayPort cable (w/ miniDP adapter) is better/worse than DVI, will be appreciated.

Attached Files: