4870 Mini-Display Port with standard display port panel

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tom Sawyer, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

For anyone wanting to use their Mini Display port connector on their 4870 with a panel that has the standard size display port connector, I've found a source for a cable that works perfectly. It has the mini display port on one end and a full size display port on the other. Cost $19 bucks shipped and works like a champ. The cable is nice and compact, thinner and more flexible than my DVI cable. I'm quite pleased! ( it's the little things.... :D )

Here is the cable I picked up: Mini Display Port to Display Port cable

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

3. tobyg macrumors 6502a

They also seem to sell some Mini displayport extension cables. I know this was an issue with some Mac Pro owners because the cable on the new Apple 24" LED monitor is very short.

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

If it works better then Apple's adapters, this is probably the best thing that could have happened to MiniDisplayPort - making it about as irrelevant as ADC.

5. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I'm running an HP LP2475w panel, definitely a high quality S-IPS panel etc. Have been using it for a number of months via DVI on an 8800GT and then the 4870. With this cable, it's perfect, no issues, no difference between it and the DVI of course as it should be. For the price, it's definitely a no brainer. As you mention, renders Apple's douchebaggery with the mini display port a non-issue. :D