4870 zwfc 10.6.5

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by panavision, Nov 14, 2010.

1. panavision macrumors newbie

Starting a thread for anyone who has a 4870 zwfc running 10.6.5
    Post your success and how you came across doing it with details! I haven't upgraded yet, still on 10.6.3 after how much hell 10.6.4 gave me.

2. movafova macrumors newbie

I have a ZWFC and upgraded to 10.6.5 and have been regretting it ever since. Netkas' QE_CI patch didn't work, so everything's running very slowly and unstably. I have yet to find a single person who has gotten it to work and can explain how. I really don't want to have to go back to using the 10.6.2 framebuffer and all that, because that sort of defeats the point of the update fixing a lot of OpenGL issues. At this point, I'm really regretting not just forking over the extra money for an Apple-approved card, since at least it would work.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

1. netkas patch ISNT MEANT FOR 4870, ONLY 4890

2. 10.6.5 drivers DOES NOT WORK WITH ALL PC CARDS (def. not zwfc)

3. The previous fix (in 10.6.3-10.6.4) has been to replace drivers with 10.6.2 ones. THIS WILL NOT WORK IN 10.6.5.

Conclusion:

4870 owners:
    10.6.5 doesnt work? Bummer, you cant use it. Revert to previous OS version.

4890 owners:
    10.6.5 doesnt work after applied netkas patch (same patch in zeus 2.2)? Bummer, you cant use it. Revert to previous OS version.

Thats it.

4. kalex macrumors 65816

Hmm this is weird. I have VGA XFX HD-487A-XDFC 4870 card and I'm running 10.6.4 without any issues. I never applied any patches or any drivers from 10.6.2 and my card seems to work fine. Is there a way to check if its behaving correctly? The only thing I did was to flash it back in May of 2009 when I got it. I haven't updated to 10.6.5 yet as now I'm afraid of what might happen :)

How can I check if I have any issues with QE/CI?

Alex

5. movafova macrumors newbie

Cindori, I appreciate the straightforward response (although the fact that I'll never be able to upgrade OS X again is kind of frustrating). Would you be willing to update your Golden Guide post to remove ZWFC and other cards that no longer work in 10.6.5 from your "Top Successes" list? Or at least add a disclaimer for other people? I only bought and flashed a ZWFC a couple months ago based on your extremely helpful instructions, so a little warning that the ZWFC is basically cursed would have been nice. I'm not in any way trying to blame you for me making a bad choice on the card to get, so please don't take it that way. I just want to prevent other people from facing the same frustration for trying to save some money.

6. panavision thread starter macrumors newbie