4890, Almost Perfect!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lurkingbf, Mar 15, 2010.

1. lurkingbf macrumors regular

Just to consolidate some information from a couple of other threads. The details:

Machine: Mac Pro 1,1
    Model: HD-489X-ZS
    Part No: HD-489X-ZSFC
    Version: 1.6
    Dell 30" Dual Link DVI
    Dell 22" Single Link DVI

Issue: Everything works absolutely flawlessly when either of the two monitors is connected singly. When both monitors are connected simultaneously, everything works, but there is a very annoying random flicker on the 30" screen (22" is fine). It's not something that can be lived with or ignored.

I've attached to this post my original ROM, and the modded ROM I'm using that forum member macchrisssli created for fan control. Is it possible that he was overly aggressive in the direction of quiet as opposed to cooling? (Although if that were the case, I should expect weirdness when a single monitor I connected, no?)

If any of the board experts has any input or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So close...

Attached Files:

2. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

What is your other video card? was it a X1900 ?

Why not run BOTH cards with the X1900 driving the smaller monitor?

3. lurkingbf thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds like a whole lot of power draw and heat! :)

Also, in order to do that, I'd have to give up something since I have a three-drive RAID-0 array, a 1TB backup drive, and the Time machine drive stuffed into the spare optical bay. So I'd have to give up either my TM drive (make it external) or my superdrive in order to power the X1900. Hope I don't have to go there, and that I can explore some other options first.

I actually just went a whole minute without flicker. I wonder what could be the issue? Soon as I unplug the 22", the problem goes away and it's rock solid.

4. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

Keep looking around the LONG threads about the 4890 and see if you can find another ROM to try. Surely someone has the same card and has been able to get everything to work right.

5. lurkingbf thread starter macrumors regular

macchrissli--whose modded ROM I'm using--was the only one I've been able to find so far. But his mod was based on fan control. If I could only find the one he used as his template...

More work to be done tomorrow. Still, significant progress today, I'd say.

6. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

7. lurkingbf thread starter macrumors regular

8. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

Sorry I got your card wrong in the search. IMO the letters would represent a change in the memory used on the board so I wouldn't suggest using any ROM that was not KNOWN to work with your specific card.

9. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Is the link speed up to par? I haven't been following the developments of late, so forgive me if this has been addressed.

10. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

11. lurkingbf thread starter macrumors regular

Second link doesn't sound relevant; unfortunately, though, the first sounds exactly like what I have (never would have called it "tearing", but I guess that's accurate).

So the solution is...nothing? Ugh.

I'd even try another ROM if I could find one just to exhaust all possibilities.