4890 install black screen 100% fans need help please!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zepharus, Jul 16, 2009.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

So I installed this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102841

I installed everything from the file in the 4890 Post by Cindori, and used the official ATI power connectors. I am fully updated to 10.5.7. I rebooted tried the card and all I get is a Black screen and the fans run 100%. Ive tried slots 1 and 2 and the same results.

Please help here i pulling my hair out!!

2. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

From what I have read on some other posts, there are issues with using O/C versions of 4890. However, other than that, I don't know too much detail on that. I will look for some links again later this evening when I get home if no one has responded to this by then.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

From my understanding, you do have the latest version of Leopard right 10.5.7? You need that version for the latest drivers. Make sure you are fully updated.

4. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

As a follow up I tossed it into my PC and it did the SAME thing... Fan spun at 100% and not post. I fiddled with the card in the socket and it suddenly worked. I then did a reboot and it went back to doing the SAME thing 100% fan no post. I fiddled some more and it worked after another few attempts.

I decided to put it back into the Mac pro and it started to work correctly then the fans went berserk and it wouldnt post. Took it back out an put it in the PC and it worked the first time. Rebooted to be sure and 100% Fans and no post

What the hell is going on with this card? Is it shot? Brand new card out of the box borked?