49.99 us map only tomtom app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bokdol, Dec 12, 2009.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

2. strike1555 macrumors 6502

Wow...im about to pull the trigger on this, thats an awesome price

3. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    that's a real good price, so how long till Navigon / Magellan counters?

4. navguy macrumors regular

at the pace it takes non-TomTom apps to be approved, it'll be in January if it wasn't thought about weeks ago

this is a great, tho short-sighted, strategy by TomTom - as a premier industry leader, i would not have expected them to take the lead on influencing price compression. i would have expected other to do ... to me, it signals a concern about Google Map Nav and proves that Navigon is a power player in iPhone market share :D:D

bokdol, i don't have ... but i'm sure it's same application w/ different map liscense ... also, it's using the same version number v1.2

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

6. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Got it. This has to be better than GMap East. It's pure garbage.

7. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

I'm a HUGE NAVIGON app fan, but even I'm tempted by this.

8. LinMac macrumors 65816

I've searched, but was TomTom ever updated to have real time traffic data?

9. navguy macrumors regular

not yet, but keep your eye on the post holiday announcement that TomTom Live Services will be available for $9.99/mo - same offer to their other devices

http://www.tomtom.com/services/

it's possible they'll break down their pricing model for iPhone, but it's a roll of the dice if you buy the app now

i hope i'm wrong ...

10. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

11. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i got copilot when it was on sale for black friday. but now i am tempted to get this. the signal works great with copilot but was just wondering about tomtom.

12. navguy macrumors regular

the GPS lock will work similar regardless of Nav app ... many have confirmed that TomTom's lock is quick and holds well.

don't forget about Navigon - most report the best overall user interface, good routing and strong features ... they will discount soon; they've always been lower priced than TomTom ... and they offer fixed price traffic (from INRIX, see free App for sample of traffic accuracy) ... and they are providing a free update w/in the next couple of days that includes Google Local Search which is by far the best POI database ... in comparison, TomTom charges $9.99/mo for live traffic, google search, and fuel (see TomTom Services) on their other devices

the one drawback is that on a iPhone 3G, Navigon is a bit laggy when using the menus; road navigation is fine but moving through app is slow ... supposedly this may improve w/ next version, but for now it can be slow

just providing you add'l info for your decision ... good luck

13. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Im torn about this. Ive used both apps extensively and cant decide which id rather buy.

Navigon has a beautiful user interface and has the traffic speed for every single road ive ever been on regardless of its type or location. The maps are absolutely beautiful and I think its lane assist is better.

TomTom has the most god awfully ugly maps ive ever seen in my life. Looking at the program is a pain. Additionally it very often does NOT have the speed limit posted when driving around.

TomTom has advantages though. Its IQ routes is a big deal not to be taken lightly. TomTom has ALWAYS given me the best route I would personally use myself, where Navigon is not nearly as good. Navigon will take me ways that I know in the real world is slower. Also Navigon will often not pick up my GPS signal when TomTom will. TomTom allows two strength levels, Weak and Strong, whereas Navigon only has one level. TomToms 'weak' is def easier to get then Navigons signal.

This is a tough one :( For the price I guess TomTom wins. Navigon may well release a discount too though.

14. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

How do you get a refund on this purchase? This app is PURE ****ING ****. It will not work at all. I have erased it and redownloaded and reinstalled it twice and it will not work. At all. Nothing. I have since erased it for the last time.

Do people get refunds for this or what? Or am I going to have to dispute it on my credit card?

15. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

You did turn Location Services on, right? :eek:

16. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

17. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Next thing you can try is open google maps and see if you lock on a signal with them. If and when you do, exit google maps and open TomTom.

If that doesn't work.... don't know what to tell ya.

18. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Yeah, all my location based services work. Google maps and Brightkite and Twitter apps... not sure what the problem is.

19. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i'm so tempted to buy this now. the only problem is that i have an iPod touch and the TomTom car kit for iPod touch isn't out in the US yet so if i buy it now i can't use it. It's on the TomTom site but you can't buy it yet and it's on the UK Apple site for purchase but not the US.

20. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

ebay?

21. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

This is a killer deal. If Navigon or Magellan don't beat it by the 28th, in for 1!

22. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i looked after i saw your post and i saw one for $154. it'll cost $99 when it comes out. but now i'm wondering if the iPod touch will work in the iPhone car kit. i heard that the only difference is that the car kit for the iPhone has bluetooth and the one for the iPod doesn't. i want to purchase an iPhone in the future so it could possibly be better just to go ahead and buy the car kit for the iPhone if it will work on the iPod touch. can someone who has the TomTom car kit for iPhone and access to an iPod touch try it out to see if it works and post the results here please.

23. pourme macrumors regular

pourme

I'm very pleased with my $19.95 CoPilot purchase...is this that much better than that?

24. navguy macrumors regular

yes

no

hold out

25. Vinny1967 macrumors member

Absolutely NOT