Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Based on "highly reliable sources", Think Secret reports that Apple is expected to announce a $499 G4 iMac at Macworld Expo, probably 1.25GHz, with 256MB of RAM, a 40GB to 80GB hard drive, a Combo optical drive, USB 2.0, Firewire 400, 10/100Base-T Ethernet, a modem, and support for Airport Extreme, VGA, and DVI, packaged with Appleworks and a special version of iLife without iDVD.
The new Mac is said to be incredibly small and will be housed in a flat enclosure with a height similar to the 1.73 inches of Apple's Xserve. Its size benefits will include the ability to stand the Mac on its side or put it below a display or monitor.

Apple has been working on the low-end Mac for almost a year, sources report. Indications are Apple has been working mostly on finding the right mix of price, performance and features that would motivate Windows users to consider a Mac, and less on the actual engineering of the product. "It doesn't take a rocket scientist to design a bare-bones PC," said one source familiar with the project. "What it takes is a team of marketing and software experts to find the right mix to convince Windows users to buy a Mac at a price that is not much more than the cost of an iPod."

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The target audience is said to be Windows users looking for a cheap, second PC. Amazing that they could be working on this for a year and we are just hearing about it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I showed this to a Macless friend, and he said that if it's true, he'd be very happy. I'm sure a lot of other people will feel the same way :)

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
To make it perfect, knock another 50 dollars of the price if you buy it at the same time you buy an iPod. That's the target audience after all. :D

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I really wanted to get a Cube as a second Mac in the house, but this sounds better. I'll have to wait and see what it looks like first, but I think it's a good move on Apple's part.

Fishes,
narco.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Oh god, a new G4 desktop. Why not give it at least a 1.5GHz G4? The benefit of getting this system should be that it is absolutely tiny. Otherwise, they basically just made a headless eMac. YAY!! :eek:

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
If true, I'll take one. I would prefer a slightly faster processor but this is about the type of cheap system I am in the market for.

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Wow, this sounds like the perfect companion to my PowerBook. Using .Mac (or some other sort of) synchronization this could be very sweet indeed.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Ichabod who?

This will be a truly brilliant move,
for starting an OSX revolution.
Tiger will no doubt outperform
Panther speedwise on this new
headless wonder..... Market share
might even cruise into the double digits!

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
If true I will pick two up the day they come out. One for my mom and one for me. I want a Mac but am waiting for a PowerBook revamp. (see sig.) And an iMac is just too expensive at this point. This would be perfect. If Apple did this I seriously think they could catch some market share in the next couple years. Honestly at that kind of price point I think most people would be willing to “try” out a Mac. Hell I spent more on my new iPaq 4700 for X-Mas then what the suggested/rumored price would be.
If this does come true it may be a sign that Jobs and co understands that market share does matter. Maybe Jobs is no longer happy being confined to being a niche player and if so all I can say is its about god **** time.
headbang.gif

And before people start crapping on such a device keep in mind that there are MANY Windows users who aren't looking for a fast GPU. Aren't looking to be able to run the latest and grestest games. If the average user can get a Mac for cheap to replace their ageing Windows 9x desktop so much the better for Apple. I know some are going to see such an idea as stupid but frankly if you want to see MS go down this is the only way.
I say bring it on. Next X-Mas I would be willing to donate a couple of such systems to toys for tots at that price.

PS- I just hope to heck you can upgrade the RAM....256MB :eek:

Reality Cheque

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2001
Freaking Incredible

Freaking Incredible!!!

Apple has been triggering shotgun blasts to its own head all these years by not offering a reasonably low-cost headless Mac. It's about time these otherwise brilliant people figured out that market share does matter!

More market share --> means more interest from developers --> means better choices at lower costs for Mac customers --> means happier customers with more $$ to spend on Apple --> means more revenue --> means more R&D money --> means better, more diverse product line --> means more market share -->...

Now if they would only step out of that other insanity bubble just long enough to fix the one-button mouse into something usable (hey, we know they can do it -- and better than anyone else-- it's the why they don't that no one understands).

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Reality Cheque said:
Now if they would only step out of that other insanity bubble just long enough to fix the one-button mouse into something usable (hey, we know they can do it -- and better than anyone else-- it's the why they don't that no one understands).

Hey I'm willing to concede the one button mouse thing if this really does come true. Replacing the mouse is trivial. Well it is for desktops. :rolleyes: :cool:

adam1185

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
SiliconAddict said:
Umm question...What has Think Secret's rep been lately in regards to rumor accuracy? :confused:

They've been pretty spot on I'd say...I can't think of any mistakes they have made in a long time.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
adam1185 said:
They've been pretty spot on I'd say...I can't think of any mistakes they have made in a long time.

ThinkSecret has been either right or close to right on pretty much everything they've published for the last 2 years.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
iMac for the rest of us

J-Squire said:
I think I'll stick with my G5 iMac

True, I've got the iMac G5 next to a Dual 2.5, and
probably won't go for one. But for Windoze users,
this might just be the vehicle to port them into the
real world.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.