Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
jackieonasses said:
They have like 15 million in the bank....

Try closer to $5 billion... Unless hopefully you are (in a grammatically poor way) talking about how many units you expect them to sell.

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Does anybody else see this as a sign of less expensive displays? Surely Apple doesn't expect a switcher to walk into an Apple Store and take home this new $499 box hitched to a $1299 display.

Regardless, I can think of three people I know who will jump all over this. They're in love with their iPods, sick of Windows, but not willing to pop $1500 for a nice iMac G5.

-Drew

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The HD shouldn't be too loud. But the fan will be louder, as the eMac has a louder fan than the iBook. Unless they're able to really improve on the airflow in this new model.

tosoil said:
Considering my iBook never runs fan (at least I never hear it), I bet this one must be the same super quiet machine. The only concern of mine is how loud the hard drive would be. Any comment from iMac users?

If it is silent as iBook, I will definitely buy one as soon as possible.

For the GPU, I don't think Apple will never offer upgradability. But, I wish they put a GPU supporting Core Image.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Tiger is the missing catalyst

johnny1290 said:
Jeez maybe I'm starting to fall into the Reality Distortion Field but Steve Jobs really *does* seem to be positioning Apple to take over the world. The retail stores *were* a good idea, the iPod *did* get people into them and got them looking at macs, and people *will* buy a $499 Mac, and right now the timing is perfect. People are sick to death of viruses and spyware, so a mac that costs little more than an iPod is worth a shot. It takes the risk out of buying a new OS, especially with iLife giving most users of a low end system most all the software they need, all done by Apple so you know it's good. This is gonna grow Apple market share for a change. These are going to be iPod hot before you know it. It's low power, yes, but perfect for users like me that just need the basics.

I think the rumor is gonna be accurate, right down to the lousy 256 megs of ram and smallish hard drive.

It's gonna fly off the shelves.

Hopefully the stock price goes through the roof :)

I like the mockup another poster made. I think he's probably pretty close to the design.

Any guesses as to how long it'll take Apple lawyers to try to squash this information?

God help the person that leaked this if it's true. Steve will NOT be happy.

All the pieces are in place, except for Tiger. By the time they start flying
off the shelves of the strategically sprawling retail stores, Tiger will be only three months from release, and will likely be offered as a free upgrade.

As far as a leak is concerned, it was most likely intentional -- let's whet the appetite and anticipation for the masses so they can start saving$$. Free advertising for a device which will be difficult to compete with by Dell, HP, Sony, TiVo, et.al. Let the good times roll!

tosoil

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2004
madmaxmedia said:
The HD shouldn't be too loud. But the fan will be louder, as the eMac has a louder fan than the iBook. Unless they're able to really improve on the airflow in this new model.

But, I thought the reason that the fan is louder in eMac is just because of CRT. Isn't it?

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
New Displays are expected

veedubdrew said:
Does anybody else see this as a sign of less expensive displays? Surely Apple doesn't expect a switcher to walk into an Apple Store and take home this new $499 box hitched to a $1299 display.

Regardless, I can think of three people I know who will jump all over this. They're in love with their iPods, sick of Windows, but not willing to pop $1500 for a nice iMac G5.

-Drew

Apple is allegedly releasing a new line of displays, most
likely an economy line, which would compliment the
headless iMac nicely.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
That could be the real intent

digitaleon said:
There's another possibility - or perhaps dual use - for this device; thin client-esque devices that add processing with XGrid. It would add value to their server line, given the capabilities Mac OS X client has to be managed. A bit more expensive than genuine thin-client solutions, but for a small business it would probably work out a bargain.

Speculation: It may be that Apple will market a slightly differently configured device with the same enclosure for just such a purpose. Perhaps even as a kind of "small network bundle".

Thoughts?

I think that would be the real intent in the first place to begin with like sun rays. Educational institutions would like that definitely. In our univ we have a central lab with atleast 100+ of them. But educational institutions and other large coporate vendors donot buy pieces, ie thin client from one , monitors from other etc, it is just a huge hastle, Apple does not have monitors for the masses (ofcourse they could make them specially). Xgrid in my opinion is tangential to thin-clients, and it requires high speed networking and decent processors as opposed to the minimalist power at client and a very powerful server for the later. With out a very powerful server software and hardware they are pretty much impractical.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Very little chance this will happen!

Spring must be coming early this year -- April the first already?

This has got to be one of the most unbelievable rumors I've seen. I'd say not even a one percent chance of this happening. And what about an Apple-labeled display for this product? It doesn't exist today so they'd have to introduce a standalone 15" to 17" LCD for well under $400 for this to be a complete and truly competitive product. I don't see how that could happen as it would have to vastly undercut the price of today's Cinema displays. They could introduce a low-cost CRT display to go with this product, but I think that's unlikely also (one step forward, one and one half steps back if going to a CRT-based lineup).

Of course, if a product like this was introduced I'd be mighty tempted (since I have some "spare" displays) but it would have to include a decent video processor (GPU) with at least 32MB of VRAM, with DVI output, and with GPU support for Tiger's Core Image. The GPU could be the deciding factor in this product, not so much for games (since a 1.25GHz G4 won't be much of a game machine) but for hardware support of Tiger's Core Image. If they can do all that in a nicely designed box for $499 then it could be a smash hit. However, I don't think it's even possible to buy a PC with features like that for under $500.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
jackieonasses said:
With as much money as they are selling the iPod, they don't even have to worry about turning a profit at this time with the headless thingy. They have like 15 million in the bank....A very nice way to spend it! They SHOULD take the whole ibook guts, add airport and take off the screen, battery and make it about a 1/2 fatter, and you have a 500 dollar PC killer.

kyle

I believe that is what they are doing. :)

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
We will see, but all I can say is that I completely disagree with you.

1. Why would this model be less likely to attract switchers than existing Macs? This model is aimed at people who spent $300-$400 on an beloved iPod, for only a little more they can check out the Mac now too.

2. I have no idea why you couldn't hook up a regular monitor to your PowerBook, but it's easy. Most people will likely use their existing monitor at first, and maybe some will buy an Apple one later. Either way, the important thing is to get them up and running on Panther/Tiger. Many will stay Mac users for the long haul.

3. With no way to upgrade, people who enjoy using their headless Mac are going to eventually buy the more expensive machines down the road. If it were upgradable, THEN it would eat into higher-margin Mac sales. You have it exactly opposite.

4. 64 bitness has nothing to do with this computer, and it's not half-baked at all. The iBook, PowerBook, and eMac are perfectly capable machines running on G4's. That's like saying a 2 Ghz Pentium computer is half-baked and incapable, when it's more than capable of almost all tasks a regular user will do.

5. Finally, if it turns out that this machine gets people in the stores, only for them to end up spending a little bit extra for an eMac or iMac or iBook, then this machine will have more than accomplished its purpose!!!

budugu said:
This is going to keep us busy for a while ;) ... after the enthusiasm and the blood rush settled down a bit... it is hard to think how this will pursuade people? ofcourse the there will be an initial knee jerk reaction, but more i think of it it will be the people who already have a mac (like us) that are going to buy it. The base model starting it at 500, any reasonable (minimum to run panther/tiger) would end up atleast at 600 (with out a monitor). There is no entry level monitor from apple anyway. I tried to hook up my powerbook with a cheap 200$ monitor, result was just hopeless graphics (worse than windows). With no way to upgrade, you are pretty much going to eat into imac and emac sales than get more people. no matter what ever 'wizardary' apple marketing can show, G4 is not a match for the P4. At 600 people get highend desktops (if you are lucky add a free flat panel), not an entry level computer.

leaving all the 64 bitness (unless G4 is going 64 too), what i donot get is that the demographic apple is targeting is hardly changing. most of the people buying into apple are for asthetic beauty (i donot want to start a flame war here i could be wrong!), and the point is lost once you have any 'outside' component that will not blend in. If you are talking of people wo are moving to macs because they cannot bear the malware on windows then it is the imac crowd. The botom line is that people will have to spend close to atleast 850 (computer+a decent monitor) bucks and get an half baked solution (with a very uncertain future) and would rather spend couple of hundred more and get a imac if they want a mac!

nevertheless apple slashing prices is good! After all this i might order it the day it appears!!

If you get one with all these objections, then it must be a nice little machine right? ;)

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
I'd buy a bag full!

I'd buy a bag full of these, especially if they were like the posted iCentre mockup. I would use one at work and another one as my media server. This is in addition to the PowerMacs I already have.

Sigh...it can't be true, can it?

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Florida vs. Asia

corywoolf said:
they didn't do that when florida was hit...

cool imac idea though....
i would be very suprised.
maybe sugar is a codename for the box. it sounds more like an entertainment device to me... maybe the missing link with airport express, it could hook up to your TV or something? :rolleyes:

It seems that a death toll of 60,000+ might somehow
exceed the significance of what happened in Florida.
Good point, however....

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
Sir_Giggles said:
This headless iMac has GOT TO BE expandable. You got to give consumers a reason to care

And expandability isn't that reason. Seriously, some extra RAM is about as much as you can expect the target audience to add at some point, and even that isn't terribly likely.

~J

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
entry level Mac

madmaxmedia said:
We will see, but all I can say is that I completely disagree with you.

1. Why would this model be less likely to attract switchers than existing Macs? This model is aimed at people who spent $300-$400 on an beloved iPod, for only a little more they can check out the Mac now too.

2. I have no idea why you couldn't hook up a regular monitor to your PowerBook, but it's easy. Most people will likely use their existing monitor at first, and maybe some will buy an Apple one later. Either way, the important thing is to get them up and running on Panther/Tiger. Many will stay Mac users for the long haul.

3. With no way to upgrade, people who enjoy using their headless Mac are going to eventually buy the more expensive machines down the road. If it were upgradable, THEN it would eat into higher-margin Mac sales. You have it exactly opposite.

4. 64 bitness has nothing to do with this computer, and it's not half-baked at all. The iBook, PowerBook, and eMac are perfectly capable machines running on G4's. That's like saying a 2 Ghz Pentium computer is half-baked and incapable, when it's more than capable of almost all tasks a regular user will do.

5. Finally, if it turns out that this machine gets people in the stores, only for them to end up spending a little bit extra for an eMac or iMac or iBook, then this machine will have more than accomplished its purpose!!!

Remember how they doubted the iPod, the iPod mini, and iTunes? The
user experience coupled with style will continue to draw in the masses.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Kagetenshi said:
And expandability isn't that reason. Seriously, some extra RAM is about as much as you can expect the target audience to add at some point, and even that isn't terribly likely.

~J
I can't see Apple releasing this computer without some RAM expandability. It will probably be one of two things. 256 soldered to the logic board with 1 free slot for a total of 1.25 or two replaceable slots, one being filled by most likely a 256, total storage of 2 gigs.

jon

johnny1290

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2004
Like another poster said in regard to upgradeability, you should know Apple better than that.

Zero chance of processor upgradeability.

Hard drive-probably you can build to order a bigger one, but they're not going to make it easy for you to swap it out once it's in there. Remember, the case is tiny, my guess is iBook size without the screen like another poster said.

Memory-Gotta be able to upgrade this, cuz Apple is notorious for shipping with wayyyy too little memory. It's just the first thing you do when you buy a mac.

Graphics card-no way jose. You get what you get, and don't expect it to be high end.

I'm not a PC guy, but aren't the cheap E-Machines made so that they're not upgradeable in some way?

This is a cheap consumer level computer. If you want expandability, you gotta pay for a powermac.

I'm so excited I can hardly sleep. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! I'm totally geeked up.

Oh and don't forget how much negativity the iPod mini faced when it was first announced. That one turned out to be a pretty good idea as well.

Don't question The Leader!

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
Holy Crap!

$500?!?! I was just about to buy an iPod too, maybe I should just get a new mac ^_^

If this thing has an upgradable video card... it would be godsend!!! The Xserves have upgradeable video cards in their small enclosures, its just a matter of apple choosing to allow it or not. Either way, I bet Apple will introduce the 1.25ghz low end $499 model and a higher end 1.5ghz $599 or $699 model.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Whoa ... I'd give this a zero on the credibility scale if it was coming from anyone other than Thinksecret. This is really surprising.

My question: will Apple start to produce some cheap CRTs / LCDs to go with this? The current monitors are obscenely expensive, and I can't imagine that the person who wants a $500 computer would drop twice that just for the display.

Anyway, this is quite amazing if in fact true. $500 seems almost TOO cheap ... for heaven's sake, they have an iPod selling for more than that.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
dotnina said:
Whoa ... I'd give this a zero on the credibility scale if it was coming from anyone other than Thinksecret. This is really surprising.

My question: will Apple start to produce some cheap CRTs / LCDs to go with this? The current monitors are obscenely expensive, and I can't imagine that the person who wants a $500 computer would drop twice that just for the display.

Anyway, this is quite amazing if in fact true. $500 seems almost TOO cheap ... for heaven's sake, they have an iPod selling for more than that.
I can imagine a drop in LCD prices, but not in correspondence to this. Also the price drops would probably not be worth writing home about. What I have seen alot is when people are getting a new computer they already have their old monitor left over good to go. Granted this will be some hideous setups with that beautiful Mac and an ugly beige screen connected, but if it gets buyers than so be it.

jon

TWinbrook46636

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Headless iMac? No. Headless iBook? Yes.

It's been mentioned elsewhere that this will likely be based on the iBook architecture. Makes sense. The specs would seem to support this theory. I would expect expandability to be about the same. Memory and Airport Extreme. I doubt this will be considered an iMac though with the G5 eMac likely being introduced around the same time. I just hope they at least offer a Superdrive as a BTO option.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
TWinbrook46636 said:
It's been mentioned elsewhere that this will likely be based on the iBook architecture. Makes sense. The specs would seem to support this theory. I would expect expandability to be about the same. Memory and Airport Extreme. I doubt this will be considered an iMac though with the G5 eMac likely being introduced around the same time. I just hope they at least offer a Superdrive as a BTO option.
I don't know if we will see a SuperDrive as BTO. Right now I see it kind of hard and here why. Lets assume rumors are correct and we get a G5 eMac for about 799. A SuperDrive BTO would add $200 dollars to the price. Then you would be comparing a SuperDrive G4 to a Combo drive, G5 and a screen. It just seems all the BTO options would detract from will make this machine great. This just all seems a little off cause I am picturing everything in my head, we will just have to wait and see.

jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.