Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Best Buy has this for $499:

Gateway NV5927U
* Intel® Core™ I5-430m cpu
* 4GB DDR3 memory (2 x 2GB, 0 open slots)
* Blu-ray Disc-enabled DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
* 15.6" LED-backlit high-definition widescreen display (1366x768)
* 320GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
* Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD (128MB of dedicated video memory)
* HDMI port for connection to an HDTV.
* Built-in webcam and microphone
* Multi-in-1 digital media reader (Supports SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO and xD-Picture Card formats)
* 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
* Built-in wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
* Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
* Weighs 5.8 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin
* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Compared to the base 15.4" MBP it has a better CPU, bigger HDD, bluray support, better graphics, more USB ports and HDMI - all for about $1300 less. And considering the low price, there is no need to spend $200 on a warranty (ala Applecare). Thus, it's around $1500 cheaper.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You should buy it

Live long and prosper
May the force be with you

Note: the price debate is old

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
You only live once...

So buy the more expensive computer....heck, what's an additional grand or so....have fun now...:rolleyes:

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Seriously, as a wise man once said (my Dad), it's your money, it's your purchase, buy what will make you happy.

I'm not sure about the "better graphics" part as I really don't know the difference between the Intel Integratec vs the 9400m integrated, but I do know that the MBP has a higher resolution screen.

PS: did some looking, can you link the laptop in question, I can't find it anywhere on Best Buy's website.

PPS: according to Gateway's website, it's an Intel i3-330m CPU (Clocked at 2.16GHz), and the MSRP is $629, so this could be another Best Buy typo.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668413.php Link to laptop in question.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Well, we could start with the fact that that Intel Graphics Media Accelerator is spanked by an nVidia GeForce 9400m, let alone a 9600m GT, that the MBP can handle 8GB of RAM, that 1366x768 is NOT high-density for a 15" screen and that it is 50% thicker and a bit heavier, to name a few.

I am no Mac evangelist, but if you are going to make a point about performance, get your facts right first. Granted, that machine will likely do just fine and dandy for your average consumer, but that still does not make it necessarily "better". If you are on a budget, go for that machine. But there are certain things you are giving up, keep that in mind.

[edit] amen on the link. Best Buy USA does not have it online, and Gateway shows it as only having a Core i3...

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Guys...https://slickdeals.net/coupons/best-buy/

I'm not saying this is necessarily better, but you get a whole lot of stuff for $1300-1500 less. We're talking about a computer that cost the same as an ipad yet has power comparable or better than a $1800 macbook pro. I can see some benefits to that. Namely, the Core-i5 and bluray drive. I don't have a bluray player so using this with my HDTV means I'll need one less box cluttering things up. And having HDMI means I wont need to buy any adapters to make it work.

Does anyone have any benchmarks comparing the 9400m to Intels new integrated graphics?

Someone in the other thread posted these scores:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Graphics 9513 4926 3307 1858

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 8703 4231 3151 1356

So are these comparable or does the 9400m totally blow intel out of the water?

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I saw that deal and thought it was a really good deal too. You should get it, if you don't mind using Windows. I believe I saw a review and the graphics is slower than the 9400m. I think if you google something about ion vs intel hd or something along the lines you should see it. Keep in mind the ion platform also uses a 9400m as its GPU, so it should be a fair comparison.

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I found this also...

3DMark 05 in comparison
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (G) / ION (LE) 3151
Intel GMA HD Graphics 3307
NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS 3435
Intel GMA 4500MHD 1230

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Guys...https://slickdeals.net/coupons/best-buy/

I'm not saying this is necessarily better, but you get a whole lot of stuff for $1300-1500 less. We're talking about a computer that cost the same as an ipad yet has power comparable or better than a $1800 macbook pro. I can see some benefits to that. Namely, the Core-i5 and bluray drive. I don't have a bluray player so using this with my HDTV means I'll need one less box cluttering things up. And having HDMI means I wont need to buy any adapters to make it work.

See where bolded; according to Gateway, the model you quoted is not an i5, it is an i3.

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
See where bolded; according to Gateway, the model you quoted is not an i5, it is an i3.
That's the beauty of this deal. Gateway list it as having an i3 (the box label and sticker even say i3), but it actually contains the i5. Pretty sweet for 500 smackers. :cool:

Paul B

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
That's a great deal. But illegallydead makes some pretty good points -- you can't really compare that machine to the MBP.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
I could go into all the ways a MBP spanks that thing, but thats my personal preference, the biggest negative of my MBP is when I use someone elses laptop I get so frustrated with trying to use multitouch gestures on it.

Plus I dont like how thick and bulky that thing is, anyway, whatever floats your boat, but just know that the money you save on warranty disappears with antivirus suite you will buy, not to mention your gonna have to buy a new computer in 2 or so years, but at $500 bucks I guess you could afford that.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
assuming that the base MBP with apple care last you 3-4 years you can buy every year a $500 laptop and still spend the same as a mac. but after three years your $500 laptop has probably a 3-4 times faster CPU, a twice as fast GPU and USB3.0. And if it gets stolen or you drop it you only have to pay $500 t replace it. So you can come out ahead by buying the cheap PC notebooks.

It really will depend on how good Windows 7 really is. In my current experience it's quite OK.

The main reasons why I prefer the MBP is the far better screen, the multitouch trackpad, the overall user experience (everything just works) and the look and feel of OS X and iLife.

But my brother just bought a notebook and we talked about PC or Mac and I eventually recommended a cheaper Lenovo with Windows 7 for the reasons given above.

Although I think Apple is still better the PC competition is very strong.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
There is more to laptops than just specifications.

That said, Apple still doesn't win when you compare equivilant computers. the Lenovo T510 for example is about $1500 vs the equivalent MBP at over $2000 and offers comparable build quality, thickness, and other general features but offers higher resolution screens, better graphics, a faster processor, and more options across the board.

I mean 15.4" inches of 94% color gamut, 1920x1080 LED backlit goodness is just hard to turn down especially when it costs you less money.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
... but just know that the money you save on warranty disappears with antivirus suite you will buy, not to mention your gonna have to buy a new computer in 2 or so years, but at $500 bucks I guess you could afford that.

Only idiots actually buy anti-virus suites when there's free and superior ones out there (such as Avast!, AVG and Microsoft's own Security Essentials).

And $500 now, another $500 in two or so years means about $1,000 for 4-5 years worth of computing, sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
that 1366x768 is NOT high-density for a 15" screen...

To be fair, neither is 1440x900. :p.

The computer the OP listed is specced very well, whether it's an i3 or i5. The MBP doesn't have either one, although I don't think an i3 would be any faster than the MBPs current C2D processors.

The price difference comes from the size and quality of the MBP. Portability and shaving off all possible excess weight and thickness (within reason) through engineering and using better components is worth a premium in the laptop world. Same goes for the automobile industry, sports equipment, etc. The MacBook and MacBook Pro are in a completely different laptop class than the Gateway because of it's size. It's easy to create a fast laptop if size isn't an issue. The cooling issues aren't as severe.

Then there's the graphics processor. Personally, I don't game, so I don't need the fastest graphics processor to be happy. However, I doubt that the graphics chip in that laptop, which sucks, would be able to play Youtube videos without issue. Video is ok, but not flash, Youtube, or some websites.

Then consider the material used, overall appearance, etc. Part of the money goes toward that.

It's like telling me that your brown leather Aldo shoes are just like ______ (insert decent brand here). Let's not kid ourselves.

Then consider the quality of the screen, materials, etc. You have a 15" screen. You don't have a GOOD 15" screen. ;)

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Wonder if I could still get in on this deal or if they are all sold out by now.
Well technically it's not supposed to be on sale until Sunday. It'll be in their Sunday ad so you might want to get there early to get one.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
That looks like one tiny trackpad. 2 finger scrolling is an absolute Godsend for the notebook user. I can't imagine using a trackpad that doesn't have it.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Well technically it's not supposed to be on sale until Sunday. It'll be in their Sunday ad so you might want to get there early to get one.

Thanks for the heads-up I'll check out my local best buy when I wake up later. If I can get one great. If not, its not the end of the world :). Would be a nice machine to mess around with with i3/i5 and Bluray.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.