Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssacong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Hi. I am getting my first Macbook pro in about 4 hours. I would like to ask everyone what needs to be done to see whether it's fully functional and not defect in anyway(LCD, Keyboard, Sound, Software)

and is there any website where I can find most recommended application for mac?

Thanks everyone.

Garemz

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Hi. I am getting my first Macbook pro in about 4 hours. I would like to ask everyone what needs to be done to see whether it's fully functional and not defect in anyway(LCD, Keyboard, Sound, Software)

and is there any website where I can find most recommended application for mac?

Thanks everyone.

Make sure to get applecare you will thank me for that in the future.

Amazon.com usally has it cheaper.

Cheers
Gary

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
actually the macbook pro will come with a year of applecare... after 11 months go ahead and pick up the extended care from ebay or sell the macbook pro and upgrade to a new one (the new owner can buy the extended apllecare and you save the 300 bucks):D

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
Yep, immediately turn on the 'two fingers on pad and click' for right click feature in the trackpad prefs...everything else will be perfect.

S/W : Always buy an Apple S/W option first if it exists (ie pro apps) - they just run better and are, arguably, the best in class.
Pixelmator makes a great 'low budget' photoshop replacement...

xaneshx

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
If it is possible, I would get the Macbook Pro and open it in the store to see if it has any issues (whether it be yellow tinting or stuck/dead pixels). Getting any of those problems on a newly purchased computer would really make me mad.

Petey07

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
When I got my MBP, I didnt' check at the store, Assuming that's it's in good condition, and after 24 hours of having it, I realize that there were a stuck pixel in the middle of the screen WTF! They wouldn't let me do a exchange for free other than that, if i wanted an exchange they want me to pay a Restocking Fee? It's not my fault that there a stuck pixel (Like I wanted it to be there...) But overall, Everything is good!

Got my student discount on the laptop and apple care (310 dollar off)
Printer/Ipod Touch Discount (399)
So overall about 710 off the original total cost if I didn't apply my student discount,

But Here are some suggestions that You might take into consideration:
Buy a hardcover laptop cover (got the clear one and like it)
Laptop Cooler if you're going to use it for several hours straight
Max the Ram out (got a good deal of http://www.newegg.com)
Other than that, it's up to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.