4g 32gb just bricked.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by skiltrip, Nov 29, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

upgraded to 4.2.1 a day or two ago. was using it normally since then, no issues. just pulled it out of my pocket, and it's bricked. dead. doesn't turn on. I was just using it literally 10 minutes ago though. Doesn't show up in iTunes either. plugging it in to charge does nothing either? What can I do short of taking it in to the Apple Store?

2. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

You state that you don't want to take it to the Apple store; why not? If it wasn't jailbroken, they'll either fix it or give you a new one.

If it was jailbroken, you're pretty much screwed. Try holding the power and home button simultaneously for a few seconds. If it still doesn't work, yeah, you're screwed. You can still take it to the Apple store; they might not notice that it was jailbroken if everything was erased somehow. Otherwise, you can visit your local electronics repair shop or website.

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Not 100 percent sure... but try holding down the power button and the home button at the same time for about 10 seconds and see if that resets it. Failing that... a trip to the Apple Store is in order. I don't think 4.2.1 has anything to do with it failing.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I don't think he said he was jailbroke. But even if he was... how would Apple know if he took it to the store to have it replaced. It doesn't even turn on. if he is under warrantee, they will check for water damage and give him a new one.

5. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Easy there Captain Assumption. lol.

I never said I didn't want to take it to the Apple Store. I was asking what steps to take BEFORE I went in, possibly avoiding an unnecessary trip.

Also, why assume it was jailbroken? I never said that. I wouldn't even know how to jailbreak this thing if I tried. I've no interest in that.

In any case, it started working again. After repeatedly holding down the sleep and home buttons together 3 or 4 times with no result. The 5th time or so it finally rebooted, and it seems normal again. No idea what happened.

Could a rogue app have just made the whole iPod crash?

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

It's hard to say what may have caused it not to turn on. All you can do is watch it. If it is a real problem it will happen again. If it happens again, I'd make that trip to the Apple Store and see if I could get it replaced.

7. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Just something to be aware of:

I had an iPhone 4 that was crashing in sleep - so if you notice that it only crashes when it's locked, that may be the issue.

8. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Well they were probably assuming you were jailbroken becasue a lot of time the term "bricked" has to do with jailbreaking.

9. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

My bad then. I thought 'bricked' meant a device essentially turned I to a brick because of it not doing anything much like a brick. Live and learn.

10. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

You're both right. Bricking is exactly like that, but it has a strong connotation towards jailbreaking in the world of iOS.