4G 80mbps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marine610610, Feb 19, 2009.

1. marine610610 macrumors regular

The iPhone would be insane on a network like this... I didn't think all of the bugs were worked out of 3G yet..

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/123651;_ylt=AnOF_aKBGWbamjyurTCKsW1CMZA5

Verizon to launch 80Mbps 4G data service in two U.S. cities this year

The race to 4G -- so-called fourth generation standards that will increase tenfold or more today's wireless data performance -- just got a whole lot more interesting.

Verizon, which has been gestating its LTE (Long-Term Evolution) network for what seems like years, says it is now ready to launch the network in the U.S. -- in two cities before the end of the yearand in up to 30 markets in 2010.

The company says early trials have shown LTE can provide a maximum speed of a blazing 80Mbps, roughly 25 times faster than what current 3G networks can offer. Who knows what the speed will be on a crowded network with real-world interference to deal with, but the early test figures are impressive nonetheless.

To roll out the service, Verizon will be using the 700MHz frequency band it purchased last year in the much-publicized auction of that old broadcast TV spectrum, which is said to be able to provide not just the fast performance Verizon is crowing about, but can cover more ground with fewer base stations. To blanket the same area, Verizon may only need a quarter of the number of towers it has for its current cellular network.

LTE will first find its way into laptops -- probably in a form factor much like current WWAN modems -- and then roll into cell phones and other devices eventually. One goal is to embed LTE into all manner of consumer electronics, which would let consumers avoid the need for a wired broadband connection at home, instead letting them connect wirelessly to the Internet and still achieve impressive performance.

Pricing has not been announced... and neither has the identity of the two cities.

2. aluren macrumors 65816

interesting... but most of us probably won't see 4G until at least 2012, when 3G gets saturated and every phone is on the 3G network.

3. hardax macrumors regular

My iPhone is sluggish on WiFi so would a network upgrade like this really matter?

4. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

yea, they said 4G wouldn't be here for another few years

but if AT&T is so crazy about data plans on a 3G network, could you imagine what it would be like on a 4G line?

5. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I don't think we will see 4G for at least a couple years. They haven't even come close to fixing or rolling out 3G in all area's yet... And for it being 25 times faster than 3G, those are really unrealistic number by far.. I would say 4G would be maybe 5x faster at the most.. They always hipe these numbers up so that people will buy the next generation phones..

James

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Are these companies going to be painfully slow at rolling it out? I mean if they have to change crap at each cell tower, it'll take forever to spread the coverage. There are going to be millions not covered by 3G in the US by the time they move to the next generation stuff.

Considering most people don't have even 3Mbps at home, I don't see the point in a speedier mobile connection if it's not widely available.

7. CST macrumors member

Mine is at least twice as fast using wifi.

8. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Wi-Fi G (iPhone Wi-Fi adapter version) is only limited to 54 MBPS. How can that beat 80 MBPS?