4G button available when.....?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manishans, Dec 5, 2013.

1. manishans macrumors member

Guys,

Can someone tell me if on iPhones, the 4G toggle switch is shown ONLY IF 4G is supported by the network?

lets say that the phone is used on a network which has 4G but is not enabled by Apple? will it show the 4G toggle switch?

I live in Sri Lanka and im on dialog telekom which is a 4G network but the iphones are not supported for 4G in sri lanka, today i got a carrier update thru itunes and now i see a 4G switch instead of the 3G switch and the carrier is updated to Dialog in the about page.

I cant check 4G yet because i need to get a separate sim for the 4G and right now im @ work so dont have time to go out.

Can anyone confirm this?

2. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

It depends on whether your carrier supports the iPhone or not. In Barcelona we didn't have 4G until 8 months ago or so. My iPhone 5 had a 3G toggle. When my carrier released their 4G, they sent a carrier update. After installing, the 3G toggle was gone and a LTE one appeared. (Now called 4G).

So, I had the LTE toggle even though Apple didn't list my country in their LTE website.

3. manishans thread starter macrumors member

Are you able to use LTE now?

4. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

I was since the day my carrier released their update. (It's a pop up that appears when you unlock the phone. Takes less than 30 seconds and doesn't require a reboot).

----------

In the end it all comes down to the following:
    1. You carrier has 4G coverage in whatever band.
    2. You phone supports 4G on that band.
    3. They've released an update for YOUR phone (iPhone in this case), so it recognizes the 4G network.

Done. You have 4G.

5. manishans thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I got a 4G sim and yes it works now! :D