4G for iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPad.Lover, Dec 24, 2010.

1. iPad.Lover macrumors member

^

^

^

Now, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint are jumping into the 4G revolution. Do you think iPad 2 will be a 4G device.?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

No.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Nope. It's way too early to be thinking about any 4G device in the USz the HTC Evo had/has extremely limited 4G service throughout the United States. Apple's never been the kind to adopt any technology early on, they wait for all the kinks to be worked out before using it.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Was the original iPhone 3G? Apple will likely wait until 4G is more widely available/accepted (likely 2012 3gen iPad, 6gen iPhone) before releasing an iPhone or iPad.

5. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

No, because it's not a US centric device. The iPad is a global device, and probably sells more units outside of the US (if anyone knows for sure?).

until 4G gets taken up on mass on a global scale, in the countries that Apple sell iPads, then I can't see it happening

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Lol! I don't know why but the bluntness of your answer made me laugh. :D

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This is your likely answer and reason why
    I believe there is zero chance of this

8. iPad.Lover thread starter macrumors member

9. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I could see it happening. Make 3G standard across the whole line and then use a 4G LTE radio in the "premium" models. After all 4G radios should be backwards compatible with 3G. The current 4G networks seem to be data-only at the moment which is perfect. LTE seems to be the worldwide choice that might finally mean everyone uses the same standard. The only sticking point (beyond power efficiency of the 4G radios) is what frequencies will be used in various countries!

10. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

So does Apple typically announce new products in January?

Hoping so...

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

They aren't going to announce a new iPad in January. apple announces whenever they feel like it.

12. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

No because the 4G version in the US is a bastardized version of 4G that is only avail in the US. Currently Sweden and Hong Kong have the only REAL 4G networks and these only run on modems. There are no 4G phone chips avail. T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and the other US carriers are selling a lie about 4G. So to reiterate.

Nope.....

13. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

The United States is 65% or more of Apple's market. So to them the U.S. consumer dominates.

14. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Is this for iPad sales or Apple sales in general?

15. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

i believe he is referring to apple sales in general

16. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Thanks

In which case, that would have no bearing on any strategic decisions Apple took with the iPad. Otherwise (I might be wrong here) wouldn't Apple have gone for a CDMA handset and iPad from the off?

17. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

WHAT????? A good chunk of Apples sales comes outside of the US. The fact remains, the LTE market in the US is a shame. There are no LTE chipsets for phones, Sweden and Hong Kong have the only real 4G networks. It only makes sense for Apple to cater to countries outside of the US that will have real 4G before the US does. Until the US becomes more homogenous cellular wise fragmentation will be the name of the game.