4G Hotspot on 2GB plan - don't do it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cagle, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

I just got a t-mobile 4G hotspot which I was going to use with my MBA, but have been using with my iPhone 3GS (until MBA case arrives) - rather foolishly I thought the 2GB plan would suffice, but its day two and I’ve shot through 200MB connecting to the hotspot's wifi, and that's just browsing a few sites and listening to Spotify for a couple hours a day. At this rate I will have used 5.6GB by months end!

Anyone else using 4G and finding the 2GB plan just not cutting it?

The speed is awesome though, and really shows what iPhone users are currently missing.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Capped plans and streaming just don't mix. For checking email, light browsing and the like, they are fine. But for streaming, forget it. They are expensive. I have the 4G 4GB plan through Verizon on my Thunderbolt, and aside from the crappy performance (switches on/off), I burned through 500MB (1/2 GB) in one weekend just doing email and browsing, no streaming of anything (well, a couple of news videos). Pretty sad.

Cloud schmoud. :cool:

3. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Wow, are you telling me that we have better plans down here in Guatemala, Central America than the US?

Granted we don't have 4G, but we still have unlimited plans on 3G on the 3 providers (claro, telefonica, tigo), Tigo has a couple capped plans but they throttle instead of charging more.

4. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

still not to late to get unlimited 3g on at&t... i just got it last month!!!!!!