4g in London

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samtb, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

What are 4g speeds like in London? Is it significantly faster than 3G and is it similar to home wifi speeds (on 20mb broadband)? I tried 4g in Tokyo, Japan once and I could have sworn it was faster than a home fibre optic broadband connection. Is it similar In London?

2. qtaran111 macrumors member

Depends...

where you are, what network you're on etc.

The networks advertise download speeds of up to 60 Mbps. I usually get around 20 Mbps. Fastest I've seen when I tested it was about 50 Mbps

3. Ayr macrumors 6502

Thanks for clearing that up :D

4. Madmischief macrumors newbie

On O2 I rarely get over 20Mb while walking about

5. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Like other places really depends where you are. The big tourist hotspots it's very slow especially in doors. Lucky to break more than 4Mbit.

Outside of oxford street, green park, Buckingham palace etc it's much faster. Fastest I had was 52Mbit and it was consistent. 3G is also fast on three network, I've easily hit 20-30Mbit on 3G.

To give you a direct comparison I tried 3G and 4g near Tottenham court road and 4g was quicker but only marginally. 2Mbit vs around 5-6Mbit. It was a very congested area.

If I had to guess I would say it's probably not as constantly fast as places like Tokyo. I hear they have super fast communications over there and way ahead on broadband compared to us so I assume they are more stable, faster, better signal and more advanced.