4G in the UK this year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Joe23, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Joe23 macrumors 6502

2. Lastof macrumors regular

Won't affect iPad (3rd Generation) owners. Wrong frequency for the chipset used.

3. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Why is there another thread on this? Has Apple involuntarily caused mass Dyslexia?

4. redwilson macrumors member

I do believe apple could alter it someway with firmware, they would not ship out a product knowing one of its new major features cant work in the future.

5. Joe23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I did have a quick scan through the posts but didn't see anything specifically about this potential deal. Berate away!

6. Silver Sun macrumors newbie

It can't, it's hardware that's why theres two versions in the US.

7. Chelmo macrumors regular

I started the other thread a minute after yours lol! So didn't see anything myself.

I also read something about 4G in UK with orange and T-mobile this year which prompted me to start a thread. Unfortunately we won't be able to use 4G uk networks with the new iPad. Can use HSPA+ though which will still be a big improvement on standard 3G :) I know 3 mobile has it. Heard O2 and t-mobile have it as well? Not sure about those 2 networks though.

8. parallax33 macrumors regular

My advice is stay away from O2. Bunch of crooks... Three network is awesome :D

9. Trepex, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

EDIT #2: You're right. Things are different in Canada. As Wired suggests, two models for the US but in Canada it will work with either Rogers or Bell, as long as you have the right sim,

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/03/apple-new-ipad-1080p-tv/

Silly CDMA EV-DO!!!

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I hope 3 starts doing it too, and lets me use it on my existing contract.

11. Lastof macrumors regular

There are two US versions, one for AT&T which supports 4G LTE at 700MHz and 2100 MHz, and one for Verizon that only supports 4G LTE at 700 MHz, but adds support for CDMA EV-DO Rev. A at 800 and 1900 MHz (Verizon's 3G).

Sources:
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/4g/

12. profets macrumors 68040

Just to clear that up (as Apple is incorrectly mentioning LTE on 2100).

The AT&T model has LTE on Bands 4 (AWS) and 17 (700 LSMH)
    The Verizon model has LTE on Band 13 (700 USMH) as well as CDMA/EVDO

Lol, it's been discussed to death.

13. iDrew87 macrumors member

I am intending to use my 3rd gen iPad for a long term and of course I am a bit unhappy with the fact whenever 4G is introduced in the UK/Europe this tablet "4G" is gonna be useless then...

Of course I got this for the 3G but again said intend to own for LONG TERM

Still considering whether to take the tablet back to Apple and exchange for the 64gb WIFI only then upgrade whenever a correct compatible model is made.

14. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

radios are tuned to work at specific frequencies. Unfortunately, the frequencies reserved for LTE in Europe are totally different to the ones in the US. It was the same with GSM - the UK used 900MHz (O2 and Vodafone) and 1800MHz (Orange and T-Mobile) whereas GSM in the US was at 1900MHz. So a European phone could not be used in the US (and vice versa) until tri-band phones became available. The iPad, sadly, is in the same boat - designed for use with LTE in the US, not in Europe.