4G in UK with Three network (3)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ModestMoo, Apr 7, 2012.

1. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Hello,

Sorry if I'm repeating someone, but maybe you can tell me (screenshot of iPad) about 4G speeds in UK? Is there 4G actually in UK?
    Preferably on Three (3) network please.

Thank you!

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

We don't have 4G in the UK but I have personally gotten 12mb/s download and 2mb/s upload on its HSPA+ network and they are now rolling out DC-HSPA+, which supports upto 42mb/s.

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

4G isn't available on any networks here in the UK. Further more the frequencies that are planned for future possible 4G support here are not supported by the iPad. The best we can get here in the UK are HSPA, HSPA+ and HSDPA/HSUPA. If you get any of those then you would see an H instead of 3G in the top left corner.

4. ModestMoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

When they rolling it out?

I think I'd use my iPhone 4 tethering on-the-go which is like that (but in bad locations it's like D: 1,5 and U: 0,5:

[​IMG]

Is that would be enough for iPad browsing?

5. LJ50 macrumors member

This was my understanding, although I have never had the H in the corner, speeds with Three are good though. Sitting at my cousins house in North London now and getting 8 down and 3.8 up. More than quick enough to burn through my data!

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

As far as I'm aware there is no timeline for that. Also as I already said if and when it does happen supposedly it will use different frequencies so the current iPad won't support it anyway.

7. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Many people have broadband connections slower than that and the new iPads have about double the speed of the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 doesn't even have HSPA+

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ofcom has changed the rules so the networks are slow to bid at the moment.

Basically to successfully roll it out whoever takes it on has to offer 98% coverage not the previous 95%. This is so that rural areas have a chance at decent broadband for once!

Looks like the first networks to do this will be O2 and Vodafone on a joint venture but we will see what happens over the next few months.

9. Dangerous Theory, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Everything Everywhere (TM & Orange) are planning to have HSPA+ 21Mb ready for the end of Q3 2012, and HSPA+ 42Mb ready for some time in Q4 2012.

As for 4G, it's pretty hazy at the moment but there are certain trials going on including EE's current 4G trial in Cornwall (until Summer 2012). Unfortunately the 800MHz frequency used for this is not compatible with iPad. Orange have also promised to have 4G networks ready by 2015.

OFCOM will be auctioning 2.6GHz and 800Mhz sometime this quarter I believe. If these are going to be used for 4G, then unfortunately the current iPads will not be able to utilise them

It is also questionable whether the proposed "4G" rollout will just be DC-HSPA/HSPA+ or actual LTE technology (which is being trialled by O2 currently in London, reaching speeds of around 170Mbps).

10. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Hope this is a fair assumption...

You should only need a max of 10mbit, this will allow full hd streaming for vod services like Netflix. Browsing won't be any faster and even music streaming should be almost instant.

4g for me wouldn't give much noticable difference over HSPA+ and I fear the ridiculous data caps would make the speed increase practically redundant!

Enjoy the HSPA improvements we might see in the coming year/s

11. Azzin macrumors 68040

Azzin

Some useful info here...

http://blog.three.co.uk/2012/02/29/leading-edge-3g-service/