Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
It's not 100% fake. While it is not true 4G, the iPhone 4s on ATT can use HSPA+, which is not the same as 3G on an iPhone 4. I would like something, whether it's a 4G icon or a 3G+ icon, to know when I am on an HSPA+ network as opposed to the regular old 3G network.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I am not looking for the fake 4g patch that is already out (which will always say 4g whether on 3g+, 3G, or Edge). I was talking about the real thing where it will say "4G" or whatever you want to call it when I am on HSDPA+/3G+ regions.
I mean, t-mobile calls their enhanced 3G network 4g and AT&T (before their new LTE android phones that came out) called their 3G+ phones 4G so I wouldn't mind knowing when I am in a "4G" area or not.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I am not looking for the fake 4g patch that is already out (which will always say 4g whether on 3g+, 3G, or Edge). I was talking about the real thing where it will say "4G" or whatever you want to call it when I am on HSDPA+/3G+ regions.
I mean, t-mobile calls their enhanced 3G network 4g and AT&T (before their new LTE android phones that came out) called their 3G+ phones 4G so I wouldn't mind knowing when I am in a "4G" area or not.

I wouldn't mind that either. Anything like that out there for jailbroken devices on pre 5.1?

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
It's not 100% fake. While it is not true 4G, the iPhone 4s on ATT can use HSPA+, which is not the same as 3G on an iPhone 4. I would like something, whether it's a 4G icon or a 3G+ icon, to know when I am on an HSPA+ network as opposed to the regular old 3G network.

It's fake. Verizon's 4G LTE is real 4G. WiMAX is an awkward situtation, as it's IP-based, but it's about the same speed as AT&T Faux G.

I'm pretty sure that the iPhone can't tell the difference between EB areas and not, and that it shows 4G all the time, unless it's on EDGE or GPRS.

There also are areas that have HSPA+ but no EB to back them up, so they are basically straight 3G, not Enhanced 3G.

Basically, the indicator is worthless.

Even more to the point, most of the areas that aren't EB are out there a ways, and typically you can speed test their backhaul. You'll see a lot of 1.5 speed tests on a single-T1 tower. Some of the EB areas, OTOH, are so congested that you're getting 200k, like in Manhattan, so at that point, EB or no is completely irrelevant, what speed you can actually get out of the network is what's important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.