4G iPad in Europe and HSPA+

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Camerondonal, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Camerondonal macrumors newbie

I understand that the iPad 3 will not support European 4G networks in Europe whenever those are launched, but that users will be able to access HSPA+ speeds on certain networks and in certain locations. What I am unsure about, however, is whether those HSPA+ speeds will be faster than the HSPA+ support already offered by the iPhone 4S or iPad 2. Can anyone shed any light?

2. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

The iPad 3 supports hspa+ speeds of up to 42mbit/sec which is far higher than both the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S

3. Camerondonal thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so at least in theory, I could get a faster connection even on the same network (O2) as my iPhone. That's interesting, thank you. O2 HSPA+ coverage (or 3G900 as they oddly dub it) is reasonable around here.

4. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

In theory yes but only 3 so far will support the 42mbit standard and as for the others not sure where you would look to see what speeds are supported where you live.

21mbit is out there but probably just for the major cities.

5. Camerondonal thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I just looked on the O2 website for confirmation that they support HSPA+ around here. I know the top speeds are unlikely to available outside the major cities, where O2, Vodafone and Three seem to be tied for top speed around the 21Mbps mark

----------

Actually, this has raised another question in my mind. What actually is the theoretical maximum speed of an iPad 2 or iPhone 4S on an HSPA+ network?

6. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Up to 14.4 I believe.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

That just means areas where they've deployed 3G at 900MHz, a frequency previously limited to GSM.

iPhone 4 onwards support 3G at 900MHz.

8. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Well Three is the only network to start rolling out DC-HSPA+ which is upto 42mb/s with a highly reduced ping.

9. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Orange will be rolling out DC-HSPA+ out at some point after they have finished the 21mbit HSPA+ rollout around September I believe.