4G iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macuser1066, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Macuser1066 macrumors member

I don't want to sound as stupid as I think I am, but I have had ATT since the initial iPhone and each iteration of the iPad. I am not super technically oriented and I am not sure of what the advantage/difference is in buying a 4G over a 3 G iPad. Could one of you help educate this poor old lady!

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is all about SPEED!

4G is MUCH faster than 3G. AT&T does not have many cities that actually have 4G but they are working hard at it. Go for the 4G even if your town still does not support it as AT&T is working hard to built out it new 4G network.

3. camardelle macrumors 6502

Like he said...it's all bout the speed. From what I read, 4g/lte is substantially faster than the 3g networks that we are on now. I'm hoping that the newest version of the iPhone goes 4G.

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I wonder how much longer will edge and slower be supported? Is there a point when a chip simply can't adapt to slower speeds?

5. camardelle macrumors 6502

Just like other hardware can limit/affect performance. I'm no expert, but I'd bet my first gen iPhone will be usable for many more years to come if I was still using it. Backwards compatability will be looked afte because it's better for the hardware to move slow than not at all.

6. maril1111, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Thanks one learns something new everyday.

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I use a Verizon 4G/LTE mobile hotspot with my wifi iPad 2 (as well as my laptop and Kindle Fire.) Downloads are about 7 to 10 times faster than 3G. That much difference is not apparent to the user primarily because even 3G speeds are usually faster than a user moves through a static display and buffering usually stays ahead of the user. But it does show up in terms of video streaming. No lags, no jitters, and no apparent buffering slowdowns.

8. citivolus macrumors 6502a

it doesn't have anything to do with chips...older technologies like Edge can continue to be included in chipsets just fine for a long time...network carriers supporting those features and providing bandwidth and service consistent with what you have been experiencing in the past while they focus their resources on building out newer networks like 4G is a whole other matter...

9. camardelle macrumors 6502

Thanks for the clarification. I learn so much about technology from this place.

10. scupking macrumors 6502a

I ran speed test on my Droid Razr Maxx yesterday and I pulled down 17mbps download and 10mbps upload on verizons 4G.

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Verizon 4G LTE is amazing. I get around 15-22 mbps down and 8-10 mbps up on a pretty consistent basis with my RAZR. By the way... how is battery life on the Maxx? I can get through a day on my RAZR running 4G, but I have to be a little careful. Is the Maxx as good as they say?

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

4G LTE has the potential to be faster than a lot of home broadband connections. For example my home internet (DSL) is about 5 megabits/second download, however with my Verizon LTE hotspot I've gotten up to 10 megabits/second.

13. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Of course you have to keep in mind network availability. I use a Verizon 4G mifi with my iPad 1 wifi during my commute. sometimes I get 8 megabit down and sometimes I get zero. The service is spotty in my area.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I doubt that there is a low speed limit. If there was all of AT&T's throttled customers would have no service! LOL!:p:p:p:p:p