4g iPod Touch will have camera:

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EllieV, May 8, 2010.

1. na1577 macrumors 6502a

We've long known that Apple designed a third generation touch with camera. Whatever the reason was that Apple pulled it from the 3G may still apply, so we can't be 100% sure that the next touch will have one.

I think it will, though. :)

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Old news...

Just because the 3rg gen Touch had a camera (the camera was removed before production), doesn't mean that the 4th gen Touch will have a camera (i.e. it's always been an Apple marketing decision not to have a camera in the Touch).

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

You don't know it was a marketing decision. It could have been a production quality issue.

4. Kimba macrumors member

Kimba

In the 90s and first half of the 00s I worked at a networking company. In the late 90s we were developing this management module with a plug-in switching module that got through development and component test with no problems. However, when it hit QA we found dozens of problems and, unfortunately, the release was rapidly approaching.

So, what we did was to make a quick redesign of the front panel to hide where the plug-in module would have gone. We also had to pull all references to the module from sales material and documentation. Fortunately, all that effort worked because none of our customers knew about. In fact, the only way you could tell was to open the management module and you would see this mysterious open space behind the front panel.

The reason I brought that up is that iFixit did find an empty spot where a camera could have gone. And my experience working in manufacturing is that you cannot release anything if QA doesn't sign off on it. So, my suspicion is that it was a QA issue. However, this is just my speculation. ;)

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Would be a great addon, but I'm looking forward for the iphone xD

6. squirrel77 macrumors member

squirrel77

i agree

+1
    certainly my experience working in product development and testing too, camera will get included once they are 100% happy that it all works and gives a fantastic customer experience.

7. Davieis macrumors regular

I'm hoping more that there will be a redesigned touch, similar to that of the iPad/iPhone 4G. Would LOVE an aluminium back like the iPad...Mmmmm

8. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

Yes it will, for sure! Unless Apple screws with us again :rolleyes:

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Look back to just after it was released and Jobs interview. He said Apple was setting up the Touch for hand held gaming and that a camera was not deemed necessary. I'm not claiming that he was being truthful but, Apple claimed it was a marketing decision.

Note - Many places have stated that Apple is getting a very good revenue stream from it's exclusivity agreement with AT+T. If you read back through many of the Touch/camera post, many people want a camera / mic in their Touch so they can use MIFI (or something similar) on a Touch and ditch their iPhone/AT+T. Apple doesn't lose much from a straight iPhone -> Touch switch except they will lose all the revenue they currently get from AT+T.

It is a marketing decision and I believe that you will not see a camera in the Touch till the AT+T exclusivity agreement is done (now rumored to be next year).

10. dom91932 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Apple is pretty smart with supplies. I think apple would have updated the line if they wanted a camera in the Itouch. It would also be a smart business choice to not have the camera in the touch.

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Screws you how? Because your purchasing arguabley their 3rd tier mobile idevice product? Face it, the iPod Touch isn't even the red headed step child to the iPhone anymore, its now they annoying neighbor living next door to the iphone and ipad. They didnt screw anyone, you purchased their lowest based idevice out of the 3 big ones....sounds like a you thing, not a them thing....;)

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Well, of course steve gave the answer he did. He wasn't about to say, "Yeah, well we really wanted to put a camera in there, but it wasn't good enough. Wait for next year."

The iPod has a hole for a camera. A camera was planned, at least at one point. I think it's more likely that it wasn't up to Apple's standards, so they decided to wait (It has to be thinner than the iPhone's to fit). I don't think Apple has to worry about loosing revenue from AT&T. Who wants to carry a Mifi around? And with cool augmented reality apps out there (including games), a camera would be genuinely useful.

With even the Nano having a camera, (albeit only video) the lack of one on the Touch looks like a strange omission, not a smart business decision.