4g ipod won't mount

Discussion in 'iPod' started by RoxStrongo, Apr 5, 2007.

1. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

when i connect it to a computer it shows the folder with the '!' and goes into black and white mode. it shows the 'do not disconnect' screen but then after a few seconds it shows a tick and says 'ok to disconnect'. it seems to be totally screwed but is there anything i can do to save it if it won't mount?
    cheers

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Hmmm, I've heard of this before, but can't quite remember how it was resolved. Could you give us some more info?

1) Are you hooking it up to a PC or Mac?
    2) Is it formatted for PC or Mac?
    3) How are you hooking up to the system: USB or Firewire?

You might try forcing the iPod into Disk Mode and see if it mounts. To do this restart the iPod by pressing and holding Select + Menu. While the iPod is rebooting press and hold Select + Play.

3. RoxStrongo thread starter macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

was hooking up with a mac and it's formatted for mac. was connected with usb but i can try with firewire. thanks for the tip about disk mode. sometimes the hard drive makes a clunking noise when it's booting up or connected. but then i'm also wondering whether the dock connector is actually working as after a while it says there is now power and to connect it to a power supply. it also flits between black and white and colour screen modes. very strange.

tried hooking up with firewire and putting it into disk mode and it mounted. even got itunes to restore it. after testing it with music on though it didn't actually play the tracks, just cycled through them one by one. hooked it up to the computer again and it's screwed again. doesn't unmount according to disk utility and it is currently cycling between the apple logo the folder with '!' and the don't disconnect screen. mental. should i take it that the hard drive has totally had it?