4G is dead...help?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sidney08, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Sidney08, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

Sidney08 macrumors newbie

It won't turn on, won't receive calls, charge when I plug it in...NOTHING. I charged it overnight and when I unplugged it this AM it said it was at 100%. Now it won't do a thing. I've tried the hard reset...nothing. I've read that holding the buttons for 10 seconds helps and I tried that with no luck. No matter what I do, my phone does not respond. Some people have talked about their phones doing this and getting hot. Mine didn't seem hot, but I only touched it long enough to carry it downstairs so it may have heated up after I put it down. I have a hard case so if it was hot, maybe I wouldn't really notice it? I'm thinking perhaps I have a bad battery?

I have appointment at the Apple Store this evening. If they can't get it going, will they replace it without affecting future upgrades? I am due for one in July and want the 5 if it's released. I'd hate to have to restart a new 2 year contract now. How does the process work? Will they take my phone and work on it for a few days, or will I find out while I'm there tonight if I will be getting a new phone? I hope I am not phone-less for too long.

Thanks!

2. Pedro Julio macrumors member

?

I assume you mean iPhone 4. Am I right? I'm not trying to be pedantic or anything, just trying to clarify, because there is no such thing as a "4G" from Apple...yet.

Whatever the issue is it sounds pretty terminal. It's 50/50 as to whether Apple can fix it. If they can, great, if they can't then you may need a replacement. Whether or not you have to pay for either of those options depends on
    A) whether or not you have a valid Apple Care plan.
    B) whether or not they decide to cut you a break.

B seems arbitrary, but that's the way things often seem to go. Some people have gone in with an expired Apple Care plan and been told "tough potatoes." Yet others, usually cute chicks that bat their eyelashes, go in there with expired Apple Care plans and BOOM: new phone, no strings.

As far as how this would effect your upgrade schedule, you will have to contact your carrier for that info.

3. Sidney08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh....yes the 4. Someone was talking about their 3G and for some reason I added the G. :)

I don't have the Care Plan so that's not going to work. I do know of many people who have gotten new phones without any strings and no Care Plan, so hopefully that will happen for me. I am friends with a couple who both have iPhones and don't have the Care Plan. She got her phone wet and they just gave her a new phone and a few weeks later he dropped his, cracked the screen and he got a new phone also. I'm going to the same Apple store so hopefully I will too, especially since my issues are phone related and not something I did.

I'm not in the mood to buy a few hundred dollar phone right now. So frustrating.

I'm a chick and I'll bat my eyelashes...and cross my fingers. hehe.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

lol. Good luck. :D

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

Even if you are out of warranty they may give you a replacement under the battery replacement program if there is no damage. That is $70-$80. Otherwise you can get an out of warranty replacement for $150. It won't affect your upgrade date.

6. Sidney08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, of course this would happen. I tried to turn the phone on for the Apple guy, and the stupid thing worked!!! He ran diagnostics and nothing out of the ordinary showed up. So, I guess we just wait and see if it happens again.