4G & LTE question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Slightly Hyphy, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Slightly Hyphy macrumors member

This may be a dumb question but what is the difference between 4G and LTE?

My iPhone 5 has an "LTE" option to switch on, but my phone says 4G at the top left corner. Even when I turn off the "LTE" option, the 4G icon is still at the top left and I still get internet.

Is 4G and LTE different? Is it a question of where I cam currently located (if I go somewhere else will my phone show LTE instead?).

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

4G is enhanced 3G that AT&T rebranded. LTE is the next generation protocol used by all 3 major carriers but AT&T nor sprint have it in any places yet. Your phone will show LTE instead of 4G when you're somewhere that has LTE service.

3. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

4G and LTE are different. LTE is much faster. 4G on ATT is HSPA+, which is a slightly faster version of the 3G network. LTE is a totally different network, and is much faster.

4. noteple macrumors 65816

My AT&T iPhone and iPad work just fine on their 4g and works on LTE in the east coast tristate area also.
    For LTE locations its Verizon > AT&T > Sprint.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The above statement is false.
    AT&T has LTE available in many places throughout the US. Not as many as verizon but it is widespread as the 2nd largest national LTE carrier.
    Sprint has it in very few locations but they are expanding also.
    Do some research next time before you speak saying AT&T or sprint don't have it in any places.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Someone not have their Wheaties this morning? No need to be snippy. AT&T 80 markets, Sprint 6, and Verizon 400. So AT&T has less than a quarter of Verizon's LTE market.

And there was an iPad typo in what I originally posted. I meant "many" not "any."

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That makes sense then:) I was thinking if there isn't any how am I connecting?:D
    100 markets so far and expanding.