4G memory on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jamescwl, May 19, 2010.

1. jamescwl macrumors newbie

My MBP has 4G memory, why it only show 2.17G on " my computer's properties"?

Thank you

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

You really haven't provided enough information to give an answer, so I'll guess.

Are you running Windows in a VM, like VMWare Fusion? The VM cannot utilize all your Mac's memory since enough memory has to be allocated to the Mac OS to run. In Fusion, you can set how much memory is used by Windows. Ditto for Parallels. But if you give it too much then memory swapping to disk will occur and everything will get very slow.

3. jamescwl thread starter macrumors newbie

I used bootcamp 3.1 to install Windows XP. If information is not enough, please let me know what kind of information should I provide.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Windows XP is a 32-bit OS that requires a BIOS change to use 4GB of memory on a PC. I'm not familiar as to how this is done on a Mac, but this may be your issue.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

closer to 3.1 or 3.3 or something... but that's total memory. If it's 3.3 and the video card is using 512mb's, than you only have 2.8gb. Does that help?