4G My Fi for Home

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Willie5566, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Willie5566 macrumors regular

I do not like my current internet provider. I have a wi-fi system though Verizon. It does not seem very fast and it has to be plugged into my phone system which disconnects when the phone rings even though it is not supposed to. My choices are somewhat limited to time warner (road runner) and my current Verizon.

I am now considering getting a my-fi unit from Verizon. I have 4g in my area so I think the speed would hold up. I am also a fan of being able to take it with me whenever I want and not be tied down to being home.

Does anyone have a my-fi unit? I am curious about what others think of it as a home internet device.

I am concerned about data usage since they are not unlimited. That may be a deal breaker.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely wouldn't be ideal for home use. 4G may be faster than 3G, but it's still not too fast, and the "mifi" devices have a very limited range. Plus, not being unlimited could get expensive. I'd just get Road Runner. It's reliable service and pretty fast, I have been using it for close to 10 years.

3. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

I kicked Time Warner out a few year back for failing to get BTN network and because their customer service sucked. I have Direct TV now which I am keeping, so I cannot get a bundle discount. So between no price break and having issues with them in the in the past I do not know if I would go back.