Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Hey guys, I'm wondering-how big is the 4G's scroll wheel? The 2G's was pretty decent sized, but the 3Gs was kind of small to use well, from what I could tell. I'm assuming the 4G's is similar to the 2G, but I haven't found a store with a display model.

Also, is the blue (or green) nano "manly" enough for a guy? Apple's pictures make it look pastel, but another site it just looks like a medium blue that's probably okay. I love blue and red, and would probably get blue if it's okay (silver/black are SOOOOOOOOO boring).

Lastly, is the 4G's screen okay for video? For me the 5.5G regular iPod is fine. I'd like bigger, but it gets the job done (I mean I can just hold it up to my face). But...I hate losing even more screen real estate.

I think I prefer the form factor and screen size on the 6.5G regular iPod, but would like flash this time for a bit extra reliability, so I'm just debating the two. If I do get a "classic", I think I'll get the black one. I've always had white iPods, but in-store it seemed like the 6.5G black actually looked less garish than the silver iPods they had out.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Also, is the blue (or green) nano "manly" enough for a guy? Apple's pictures make it look pastel, but another site it just looks like a medium blue that's probably okay. I love blue and red, and would probably get blue if it's okay (silver/black are SOOOOOOOOO boring).

This seems like a strange question to ask here as it's almost entirely a matter of opinion. If you don't like the blue don't get it. Personally I wouldn't feel any less of a man regardless of what color nano I had. If it matters though, if I were to buy one right now it would be either the blue or the orange and I am a male.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
What about the scroll wheel and screen?

Regarding the color, it's not a strange question in that I can't actually SEE the thing, as I said...

and I've gotten Product Red iPods before, but don't think I will this time because it costs more and would take a lot longer to get here :(

If it looks like the blue on:
http://photos.worldofapple.com/4g_ipodnano/

then it looks pretty nice. Weirdly those colors look really different from the colors on Apple.com, but someone who's seen them in person said that other site actually more accurately represents the colors.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I personally wouldn't be able to watch videos on that small screen. I prefer the touch for video viewing.

I don't know how the scroll wheel compares to the previous generation. I don't understand what color has to do with anything other than personal preference, so I can't help ya there either.

If you have the money and don't mind the larger size, have you considered a touch?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I've got a 2G touch, and I can't stand it. I'm just taking the hit and getting either a nano or a "classic".

I'm going to try to see them in person tonight if I can find some other store that actually has them. Some pictures the blue looks really nice, and is subtle enough for a guy. Others it looks too bright (I mean I like it, but...)

16GB is fine for me for my media. Everything I really need at one time fits in around 12GB. So...I guess really it just comes down to whether I'd really hate that smaller screen. The regular iPod size IMO is a really nice compromise. It's super portable, yet still large enough to be quite usable (at least if you hold it close).

Hmm...I wonder if the new 6.5G iPod classic really does have a glass screen now instead of plastic. I like that the 4G nano and touch do-really does seem to be scratch resistant to the point that you don't need a screen protector.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I knew I had seen comparison shots between the 2G and 4G nanos somewhere, and I finally found them:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/first-look-ipod-nanos-new-colors-compared/

Looks like the 2G did have a slighly larger scroll wheel. The 4G seems inbetween the second and third in size. Really it's probably a nice compromise. I can't believe how much wasted space there is on the 2nd gen nano when I see one now! The 4g's screen looks enormous by comparison.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
and I've gotten Product Red iPods before, but don't think I will this time because it costs more and would take a lot longer to get here :(

No it doesn't, and no it doesn't. I ordered a Product Red iPod Shuffle on Sunday and it cost the same as the other colored ones, and it will be here tomorrow so it isn't taking a second longer to get here than any other iPod. Same goes for the Product Red Nano. It costs the same and will ship just as quickly/slowly as all other iPods.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
What do you mean is blue manly enough? Do people still go by the crede of blue for boys pink for girls these days?

LOL I found this thread quite funny. :D

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
What do you mean is blue manly enough? Do people still go by the crede of blue for boys pink for girls these days?

Did you not read the white vs. black iPhone threads? They got ridiculously scary with how insecure and homophobic some people are.

MacTraveller

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Hey guys, I'm wondering-how big is the 4G's scroll wheel? The 2G's was pretty decent sized, but the 3Gs was kind of small to use well, from what I could tell. I'm assuming the 4G's is similar to the 2G, but I haven't found a store with a display model.

Dude, where do you live?? I mean, even WAL-MART has all these latest Nano G4s on display. And Wal-Marts can be found everywhere a redneck lives. You don't need to have a nearby Apple Store to see a display model.

Anyways... if you're a man and secure enough, who cares what color you get? No one is going to laugh at you because you picked a "bright girly shade of blue". Seriously. For the most part, most other men THINK that blue is blue, and cannot tell the difference between one type of blue versus another shade of blue. Women might notice, since women make a bigger deal about subtle shades of color. Women invent all kinds of shades and colors like "magenta" and "fuchsia" and other nonsense words.

Hell. I'm thinking of buying YELLOW .... because in my country of origin, the colour yellow is the primary tartan colour of our warrior-clan. And the colour yellow indicates strength in battle, and the tartan colour (actually its more like golden yellow) indicates the leadership/chieftain insignia. Colour yellow is also symbolic for the national beast the battle-yak, but don't make me explain that one. But who cares. It's considered a macho masculine colour from where my ancestors come from!!

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
How about the OTHER questions in this thread's title, guys! :p ;)

No it doesn't, and no it doesn't. I ordered a Product Red iPod Shuffle on Sunday and it cost the same as the other colored ones, and it will be here tomorrow so it isn't taking a second longer to get here than any other iPod. Same goes for the Product Red Nano. It costs the same and will ship just as quickly/slowly as all other iPods.

Officially, sure, practically, no. A Product Red one would cost me $20-30 more, and get here some time next week, versus by Friday for any of the other colors. I'm all for Product Red-I think it's really cool, and I've actually bought two Product Red Apple products so far, but I sort of want something different this time, and I don't think as much goes to charity as their is price difference. (And I've given around $200 recently to two things, so practically speaking the $20-30 is sort of going somewhere anyway.)

On an semi-related note-I really love how Apple's Product Red stuff looks. Really nice color. For some reason most other companies don't seem to do it well (though I do like when they offer a non-red "Red" one!) Honestly though I do believe in the program and...well I'm sort of sick of Red at the moment :eek:

Did you not read the white vs. black iPhone threads? They got ridiculously scary with how insecure and homophobic some people are.

Well I'm not homophobic (thank God), but I still can't get away with wearing a pastel blue device :D The colors on Apple's site seem to be completely messed up though, and the real blue is much more of a neutral "medium" blue...at least I hope so, 'cause I've only seen online photos and sort of stared at it in a dark, locked up case in it's packaging.

Dude, where do you live?? I mean, even WAL-MART has all these latest Nano G4s on display. And Wal-Marts can be found everywhere a redneck lives. You don't need to have a nearby Apple Store to see a display model.

I haven't tried Wal Mart, and prefer not to set foot in there since quite frankly I think they're a nasty company, even by corporate standards-but my Target, Circuit City, and Best Buy didn't have any display models yet, just ones locked up, and that's too hard to tell. My Best Buy had a single (black) Classic out, but that was the only new model on display. And is it just me, or does the new black classic look better than the older ones? The black seems more subdued-I *think* I'd get that over the (possibly?) more garish silver color.

Anyways... if you're a man and secure enough, who cares what color you get? No one is going to laugh at you because you picked a "bright girly shade of blue". Seriously. For the most part, most other men THINK that blue is blue, and cannot tell the difference between one type of blue versus another shade of blue. Women might notice, since women make a bigger deal about subtle shades of color. Women invent all kinds of shades and colors like "magenta" and "fuchsia" and other nonsense words.

Hell. I'm thinking of buying YELLOW .... because in my country of origin, the colour yellow is the primary tartan colour of our warrior-clan. And the colour yellow indicates strength in battle, and the tartan colour (actually its more like golden yellow) indicates the leadership/chieftain insignia. Colour yellow is also symbolic for the national beast the battle-yak, but don't make me explain that one. But who cares. It's considered a macho masculine colour from where my ancestors come from!!

I like the bright yellow on Apple's website, but I don't think I like the real yellow (or green or orange) as well...but the real blue I like much better. Hey, I'm manly enough, but I still don't want to wear something that's basically a shade used with babies in this country :p

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Hey, I've got another question about the 4G. Does it have any of those headphones where the unit is supported by the headphones? The 1 and 2G models did, but I don't know that Apple made any for the 3 or 4G :( I like those (I bought a pair for my mom to go with the Product Red 2G Nano I got for her).

GuyNextDoor

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Also, is the blue (or green) nano "manly" enough for a guy?

If you're worried whether the blue nano is manly enough for you, you've got bigger problems than what color nano to get. :D

I like the new, vivid colors; the last gen pastel colors always looked like Easter candy to me.

aznguy2772

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Officially, sure, practically, no. A Product Red one would cost me $20-30 more, and get here some time next week, versus by Friday for any of the other colors. I'm all for Product Red-I think it's really cool, and I've actually bought two Product Red Apple products so far, but I sort of want something different this time, and I don't think as much goes to charity as their is price difference. (And I've given around $200 recently to two things, so practically speaking the $20-30 is sort of going somewhere anyway.)

:p

Where exactly are you getting your Product Red iPods? If you go to any Apple Store, a red iPod would cost the same as any other color. At least that's the case in the States and Canada.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Where exactly are you getting your Product Red iPods? If you go to any Apple Store, a red iPod would cost the same as any other color. At least that's the case in the States and Canada.

That's the only place you can get one, which is my point.

Now seriously, anyone have any answers to my other questions?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Now seriously, anyone have any answers to my other questions?

Where are you located? If you have an online Apple store you can get one from there. Product RED iPods are the same price and availability as all the other ones.

Don't know what you're asking about the earphones, I can't make sense of the question.

Blue is awesome.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I've looked at a display model and the click wheel is definitely bigger than last gen's. The blue is okay, but I would really like it if they had a darker shade of blue instead of the extremely vivid blue. My two favorite colors are red and silver, but if you like blue, get blue. :)

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005

That is also not true. I was at Target yesterday and they had both the Product Red Shuffle and Nano. They don't cost any more than normal iPods nor are they harder to find than normal iPods.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Hey, I've got another question about the 4G. Does it have any of those headphones where the unit is supported by the headphones? The 1 and 2G models did, but I don't know that Apple made any for the 3 or 4G :( I like those (I bought a pair for my mom to go with the Product Red 2G Nano I got for her).

I believe you're talking about the lanyard headphones. No iPod has ever come with those, I don't know if you can still pick then up at apple stores, check the online store.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
That is also not true. I was at Target yesterday and they had both the Product Red Shuffle and Nano. They don't cost any more than normal iPods nor are they harder to find than normal iPods.

Well Apple's own information says they're only available through Apple, and I've never seen them anywhere. Could be some kind of special deal with them or something. Regardless my point stands.

I believe you're talking about the lanyard headphones. No iPod has ever come with those, I don't know if you can still pick then up at apple stores, check the online store.

I was asking if Apple made them for the newer nanos, and I'm about 95% sure they don't. It's too bad, as I thought that was pretty nifty, versus having to have an armband thing. I *still* haven't made up my mind about this... (Blue doesn't ship until next week from where I'm getting it from...)

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
Well Apple's own information says they're only available through Apple, and I've never seen them anywhere. Could be some kind of special deal with them or something. Regardless my point stands.

There is no special deal, they are sold everywhere all the other iPods are sold.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
What is going on with this forum? :confused:

They...are not. Apple themselves says they sell them exclusively. I have never seen them for sale ANYWHERE else. If they are somewhere, it must be some special arrangement.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Scroll wheel is 1/16th of an inch wider than the 3G, apparently... I find it OK though. If it was any bigger, the iPod would have to be bigger.

And I have a green 16Gb Nano. And I'm a man. And yes, the green is "manly" :p. It's a very nice shade of green, slight metallic sheen. In person it seems to be slightly darker than the pictures on the website.

If you think the green on the website looks OK, it's even better in person. Best shade of green ever! Now if only I could get a car that matches it... imagine that. When Apple start making cars, the end of the world is near.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.